What was your first safety razor, and do you still use it?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Jul 23, 2018.

1. Laird

Laird Active Member

My first DE was a Muhle R89 purchased in 2013 and since sold. Have moved on to vintage Gillettes and Merkurs, as well as a Feather ASD2.

Keithmax, gorgo2, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  2. John Beeman

John Beeman Well-Known Member

Parker 80R

I still have it but as some have already mentioned, it doesn’t see much use because I have several in rotation.

3. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

My first safety razor was a Merkur 34C, followed quickly by an EJ89L, which got me addicted to 3 piece razors. This was followed by a succession of other DE styles, Injectors, SE's and I even tried straights. I think I have a problem :happy097:

Keithmax, gorgo2, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  4. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

First safety razor is the Gillette slim 1962(H-1) bought it at a garage sale in the sticks of Northern Alberta and it was a good one, still use it with all my other 16+DE razors and 2 Schick razors that I have to get some good blades for. I'm a Gillette Fanboy I think, bought 7 this year alone. 20180723_203431_crop_499x430.jpg

brit, RyX, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  5. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

My first was a Derby from Sally Beauty Supply, followed very quickly by a Merkur 34c. I use the Derby on the rare occasion to remember from whence I came. The Merkur was PIF'd to a friend last year.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Keithmax, gorgo2, Linuxguile and 3 others like this.
  6. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My first safety razor was an Edwin Jagger DE89 that I got for Christmas in 2104. I still keep it in my shaving kit as a backup and sometimes use it if I'm in a major hurry. I keep it because it was a gift from my wife and I'm a sentimental fool

Keithmax, gorgo2, Linuxguile and 4 others like this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Technically my first safety razor was a ‘58 SS that I no longer have. I only used it for a very short time. When I think of my first razor I think of a Gem OCMM which I used exclusively for over a year. I still pull it out with a boar brush and a stick of Arko when I’m feeling nostalgic about my beginnings.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
    RyX, Keithmax, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Well-Known Member

My first was a 65 Gillette Slim that I used for a couple years, but was never really thrilled with it's shave, so ended up selling it.

9. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

It's good to know that wet shaving is still happening in the 22nd century. :drool:

RyX, gorgo2, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  10. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Not my first safety razor but my first really nice expensive safety razor (Probably cost Dad $4.00 or so but as another hand-me-down I paid nothing).

My Dad's "Made it back from the War so buy something nice razor":
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

brit, RyX, Keithmax and 10 others like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

When I started shaving at around 13 there were 2 DEs in the house. A short handle Super adjustable and a lady Gillette. I have used both of them over the years and still have them. Not sure which I used first. The Lady Gillette does not get much use but the SA is used fairly often on Fridays.

RyX, Keithmax, Primotenore and 7 others like this.
  12. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Edwin Jagger DE89, I still have it but do not use it. It's a fantastic razor and looking back could be my daily shaver now.

Keithmax, Frijolero, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  13. Sammy1

Sammy1 Active Member

Three piece Chinese Remei, best $2 I ever spent. I have around 100 razors and still use this one sometimes.

14. mrchick

Perhaps you missed the previous picture of my shave den[​IMG]

brit, RyX, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  15. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

A Gillette Black Tip from the flea market about 25 years ago for $1. Used it for a few years until I started collecting and using other vintage Gillette's. Still have it but have not used in a few years.

16. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

@mrchick, I thought you might drive one of these...

[​IMG]

RyX, Keithmax, PLANofMAN and 5 others like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Deceptively roomy!

RyX, Keithmax, PLANofMAN and 5 others like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

MicroTouch One. Mild shaver, that I PIF'ed, not long after I started using a Gillette Fatboy.

RyX, Keithmax, Primotenore and 4 others like this.
  19. mrchick

Only in even centuries. I like to use both.

20. mrchick

Because of this thread, I pulled out my EJ DE89 with a Weber Bulldog handle and had a wonderful shave. If it wasn’t for finding this lovely group, I might have actually saved money wet shaving[​IMG]

brit, RyX, FaceScraper and 9 others like this.