What was your first safety razor, and do you still use it?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by PLANofMAN, Jul 23, 2018.

1. TADIII

TADIII Active Member

First razor (from my parents) was a Schick Injector in December 1960.
    First razor I bought was a 1966 Slim - my daily driver from January 1966 t0 July 2013 (I still have it, and it went with me to Europe for a month in 2013 and for two weeks in Italy in 2018).

Tom

bayercy, Keithmax, Screwtape and 2 others like this.
  2. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

Merkur 34c. Doesn't (and won't) see the light of day since I bought my Fat Handle Tech (Flat Bottom/Made in England).

I won't ever buy a brand new DE/SE razor again.

bayercy, Keithmax and brit like this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

my birthyear and quarter black handled ss razors... 1967 m-4. left .i use the british flare tip#20 rocket (1960s) more as its all brass and heavier....same head..0n the right... 20180901_021039.jpg 20180901_015834.jpg all shave well...

bayercy, MacDaDad and Keithmax like this.
  4. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

My first razor is a '62 H-2 Gillette Slim for $1.98, still shave with it dialed in at 7, thought I lost it so i bought a Super Adjustable O-4 (still have it) but found my Slim some time later in a box in my closet. I just have to wonder how many great shave these two razors gave me.

bayercy and Keithmax like this.
  5. GoHabs

GoHabs New Member

My first safety razor was the RazoRock Mission, and yes, I still use it (occasionally).

6. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

First one I bought was a Gillette TTO rocket.
    I still have it, and I still use it on occasion.
    It still amazes me how good of a shaver it really is.

PastorAndy914, bayercy and Keithmax like this.
  7. GADback

GADback Well-Known Member

EJ DE89 that I bought because I couldn't handle buying more Fusion carts. I figured even if I hated the EJ, I was only out the cost of an 8 pack of Fusion carts.

I went back and forth for a while because a lifetime of carts taught me to use pressure so it took me a while to figure out what no pressure truly meant and got a lot of weepers for a long time. Now I mostly use a Slim as my daily driver, but the EJ still makes it into my rotation and I'm still happy with the results when I use it.

8. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

My first razor was the merkur long handle, i still own it and used it for about 6 years, i have not touched it this year.

9. PastorAndy914

PastorAndy914 Well-Known Member

First purchase was a Parker 96r. I remembered my uncle using one similar looking years ago. Fast forward three years and a cabinet full of razors later. I really need to get out the ol Parker and use it again

10. Zed117

Zed117 Well-Known Member

Lost it a few decades ago....

s-l400.jpg
    Oh, you mean my first real DE after the mach 3, my first cart.

Couldn't tell yeah, I had RAD so bad, I remember starting out with 6 or 7 vintage Gillettes.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  11. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

My first TTO/DE safety razor was issued to me in Boot Camp. I still have and I do use it but I don't use it everyday it is in my Rotation. The razor that I used before I went to boot camp was a Schick Injector single edge razor that I got as a prize for sending in a postcard to radio station.
    1967 M-3 Gillette Knack TTO/DE (this photo is from the internet)
    1967 Gillette Knack M-3 TTO:DE Razor.jpg

12. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

A dollar tree razor, cut me up but was better than a cart.

Frijolero likes this.
  13. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Utopia safety razor. Bought it because it was cheap and I wanted to see if would like shaving with a double edge. That was over four years ago and I have not looked back. Still have the Utopia but a lot has been added to the den since that first purchase.
    [​IMG]

bayercy, PatrickA51, MacDaDad and 2 others like this.
  14. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

I can't be certain which razor it was but it was either a Rocket or a 1940's Super Speed. Back in the 50's my dad collected razors, and I don't know where he kept them but he was always shaving with a different one.. :)

bayercy, Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  15. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Parker 90r was my first. I still have it, but I don’t use it anymore.

bayercy, Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  16. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

My first DE razor was a Van Der Hagen I bought at Walmart. I soon graduated after that to a Edwin Jagger DE 89. I gave the VDH to a kid who wanted to try wet shaving and as far as I know, he still is using it. The Edwin Jagger is currently in retirement due to my obsession with vintage Gillette razors.

17. Somnos

Somnos Well-Known Member

My first razor was an EJ89lbl which I still have and use when it comes up in rotation. Still a favourite but I have quite a few razors with the majority being vintage Gillettes.

bayercy, PatrickA51, MacDaDad and 2 others like this.
  18. Ben2shave

Ben2shave New Member

I got a Ming-Shi 2000S with an Arko stick and a cheap Omega synthetic brush - then I picked up a tin soap cheaper than the Arko (though slightly different, not actually better, nice for a change) and blades - 100 Astra Stainless I didn't like the look of (bad plastic molded packs), 50 Wilkinson Swords (Gillette from India).

I never liked shaving. I do now... but I never bother without a hot shower first (fill a small bucket in the shower and take it to the mirror to shave - we don't have running hot water in Thailand). 2 months in and all my problems vanished - I can't imagine why I'd want to bother trying out anything else.

So in my first month I blew maybe 2 months shaving budget and I'm good to go for the next 150 blades/5 days each. You do the maths ;) but when calculating my budget don't forget the roll-on. I had trouble finding anything that worked for me, living in Bangkok - I started using Amway's G&H Protect... but then I just shaved my pits and started using the Alum and it works better but there's no risk of leaving traces of it in my robe or on the bed.

Very happy - and no problem now using the razor left handed in my right armpit ;)

19. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

Some RazoRock tto razor. I want to say it was just a rebranded razor. I no longer have it

20. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I think my first, and the longest used, was a metal/plastic Gillette G2000. It's long gone already, and besides nowadays I favour much more aggressive razors.