What would you do if you received a brush like this?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by zec668, Feb 9, 2016.

1. SRNewb

SRNewb Well-Known Member

This right here.
    For $10, I'd use it and move on. Or PIF it if I could not stand to look at it. If I contacted the vendor and the response was cordial(not looking for a refund, just a "Sorry. my bad" would work) I would have no problems. If not, I'd move on to another vendor. There are very many good wet shaving vendors, each vying for my dollar, and most offering low priced synthetic brushes. I ALWAYS vote with my dollar, and I don't expect perfection from anyone, vendors included. Just honesty and a great attitude.

poikkeus and zec668 like this.
  2. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I guess business must be good.

battle.munky and zec668 like this.
  3. jmaier

jmaier Well-Known Member

I'm just glad that there's a thoughtful, critical discussion about what warrants a refund rather than the pitchforks and torches that seem to come out so fast these days when a customer isn't happy. The voice of a customer should wield great power, but you know what they say about great power and what comes with it. Personally, for $10, I'd use it. That said, I also agree that the product has a cosmetic defect that should warrant a full refund (shipping included) if the customer asks.

battle.munky and zec668 like this.
  4. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Id just use it. Some of my synthetic brushes have small spots that look like that. It shouldnt effect how it works

Robyflexx and zec668 like this.
  5. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I haven't tried that, but I will. It has mostly come out, though, I can still see some evidence of it.

6. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

That is me to a T:)

7. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Jason. I agree. A sensible discussion is the way to find solutions to problems. And of course, as you said, with great power comes...(watch at 2:45)

jmaier and battle.munky like this.
  8. fdce54

fdce54 Member

I purchased an SOC boar from this vendor that shed a few hundred hairs inside of seven uses. I contacted the vendor and he said they do not take any returns that have been used and referred me to a vendor in Europe. Not my idea of good customer service.

zec668 and battle.munky like this.
  9. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I'm kind of old fashioned I don't care if ts $5, 10 dollars $200 if it's not right it's not right. I would demand refund/replacement but I personally would be relentless trust me they would refund or send me another item.

zec668 likes this.
  10. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

We used to have a saying in the decorating business in our workshop.... "a squeaky wheel gets oiled first"

zec668 likes this.
  11. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

First, that sucks really bad, I'd be upset if my SOC boar started shedding, its a great brush and I'm sorry to hear you didn't get that experience. I agree that was not good customer service.

Second, as far as the vendor goes, that is piss poor IMO. I've been pretty lucky on my shaving related adventures and have either had some of the ridiculous service where you mention that the corner of the shipping envelope was torn and you get a surprise refund and three free items in the mail or just had no problems requiring attention.

I advocate wholly and completely for the customer. If their is a legitimate issue, like the one with the brush from the OP, the vendor should right it up to the point of complete refund/replacement of the item and all shipping costs, period. This, again IMO, should apply for everything bought or bartered for. If the vendor and customer agree to some extent less than full refund/replacement than the decision should be on the customer of what is sufficient. Capitalism will shake it out if it is allowed to.

zec668 likes this.
  12. fdce54

fdce54 Member

I did get a new one but not from the vendor I originally purchased it from. Another vendor stepped up and did the right thing. I will never buy from IB again.

zec668 and battle.munky like this.
  13. battle.munky

I can't say that if I had the same result that I wouldn't do the same. And since this is a second issue I've heard about IB, I will exercise my vote for their success with my dollar in the future and if enough of us do they will either correct their issues or suffer in sales.

zec668 and fdce54 like this.
  14. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I can add a bit of experience for this, as I've sold this exact brush model. A good percentage of a wholesale lot of those brushes (Kong, Monster, whatever the next company who carries them wishes to call it) will come with defects from the factory. They are also not packaged in the best way to prevent damage during transport. You will get some that may have a small plug of hair missing (which is what looks like the OP has), some will have scratches or scuffs, some may have logo issues, and some may have been shipped upside down where the knot appears to have thin spots when in all actuality the knot is just splayed a bit from being upside down for weeks or months (this may also be what the OP has, but given the localized spot, I'm more inclined to think a small plug is missing). What we do is we take every brush out, inspect them, buff them, and wrap them in tissue paper before putting them back in the box before shipping them, that way the customer knows they are getting a factory first. The factory seconds are culled and sold at a discount, and the defects are known to the consumer. I've never bought from IB, so I can't personally speak for what happened. It is entirely possible that this brush just slipped though their QC process and made it the to OP. No way to tell. Put me in the camp though that it doesn't matter the price that is being charged. If something is being sold as new in box, a consumer 100% should get something new and free of defects unless previous disclosure was given about the possibility of defects. Price shouldn't matter. I can't imagine too many people buying a ten dollar burger and being happy if a chunk of top of the bun was missing, no matter how good it tasted.

I do want to say again that I am in no way giving any commentary on the seller, as I have zero experience with them. I just know this particular brush better than anyone and I know all the defects that come with it from the manufacturer. Hopefully this can give the OP a little clarification and hopefully the brush is performing well.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  15. battle.munky

This^

zec668 and Robyflexx like this.
  16. zec668

zec668 Well-Known Member

Thank you for speaking up and offering your experience with the Kong/Monster brush. After using the brush for about a month I have luckily discovered that the splayed open part in my brush seems to have evened out for the most part. The real trouble is that I had to use it in order to find this out, which voided my refund option with IB. If it hadn't evened out or gotten worse I would've been stuck. IB has offered to give me a $4.00 refund or free shipping on my next purchase, but I still feel things could've been handled better.

It's vendors like you that make the wetshaving experience a pleasure. Keep up the good work sir!

ezlovan and battle.munky like this.
  17. BigCabDaddy

BigCabDaddy Well-Known Member

Can I just say that your participation here in this manner has earned you at least one new customer. Now don't spend it all in one place.