What's a good SE for a first timer?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ChrisB, Mar 18, 2023.

1. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

The blue tips are the least collectable unless it is a Rocket version. The standard ones depends the collector and price. The red tips unless you are overpriced they will go quickly.

ChrisB likes this.
  2. Old School

Old School *$&%@#~

Supporting Vendor
    I list for top dollar on my website for the above reasons...I spend my time, energy and money (4 hour round trips aren't cheap), followed by cleaning, polishing, cleaning again and buffing each piece. Industrial ultrasonic machines and solutions aren't cheap, nor are shipping packages, labels and lets not forget my web hosting fees. My "business" was actually a $4k loss last year, but I've went from hundreds of visitors to 20,000 now. People on the forums and FB pages that know me message for "discounts" and I'm typically rather generous...but tax season was an eye opener when it all rolled up for sure.
    There's no ask here or anything beyond if you think you can do better on ebay, at a flea market, or antique store, go ahead. If you want to look at beautiful pictures, read and accurate description, add to cart and receive a shave ready product as expected you should expect to, no, be willing to, pay for that service.

ChrisB, sidpost and Enrico like this.
  3. sidpost

sidpost Active Member

Exactly what I have done with my last two used antique razors. Open the package, load the blade, shave.

No gas money or time involved. No wondering why it won't accept a blade or figuring out what is wrong with it.

ChrisB and Enrico like this.
  4. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

A 1912 by GEM or EverReady.

Make sure you get the Personna SS PTFE for ANY Gem style blade. It's the only blade that will actually provide a comfortable shave unless you have very fine facial hair.

ChrisB likes this.
  5. ChrisB

ChrisB Well-Known Member

Thanks, good advice, yup I have these from Connaughts ...

upload_2023-5-21_10-47-26.png

and these from a TSD member

SE 4 800-100 b.jpg

Enough blades for a while. I need to get back to my SE razors soon, the EverSharp Hydromagic is my preferred one atm, perhaps a closer shave than the few Vintage Gillettes I have.
    Still needing 3 passes and touch ups with my regular DE razors.

brit likes this.
  6. WhyAreYouMe

WhyAreYouMe Active Member

That's what I would call a closed comb.

7. SteedMc

SteedMc Member

My favorite SE razor is the Blackland Vector using Artist Club blades. It’s so easy to maneuver and get a beautiful shave in only 2 passes. I have it in Titanium.

8. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

It’s SEptember! :happy036:I’ve been enjoying almost all of my SEs. Still two injectors to fit in to the month, but with two weeks to go that’s probably ten or so shaves for me. I’ll get to them yet :happy088:
    Fwiw, another modern injector that’s just a fabulous shave tool is the Asylum Injector. It shaves so smooth and is good looking too! I like it best with the Chinese Schick yellow pack blades and the Japanese Pro-lines and the keyed dispenser.
    IMG_0346.jpeg

ChrisB and brit like this.