What's all this chatter about?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by preidy, Dec 28, 2015.

1. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Blade chatter vs audible feedback. Are they similar? What exactly causes chatter and feedback? Are vintage razors more or less prone to chatter.

AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Audible feedback is the noise you hear from the blade actually cutting through the whiskers. The noise level does seem change depending on the razor and possibly blade your using. Feedback does no harm that I know of and helps many with their shave.
    While chatter is the blade actually vibrating within the razor and on your face during a pass. It can cause irritation and even nicks. Again razor and blade combo seem to make a difference, but IMO shave technique and face preparation also make a big difference. As my technique and preshave improved, chatter became less and less of an issue. I have not experienced blade chatter since my very early days of "traditional" shaving.:happy088:
    Hope this helps.

3. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

All my razors provide some audible feedback, even the carts, but I only get chatter when I use a TTO. I think the chatter might be do to the lack of support on the blade body, along the center where the blade slides over the razor head spine.

178-bplatoon and Slipperyjoe like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Kinda weird; I didn't know anything about "audible feedback" or any other noise made while shaving until I shaved with my hearing aids in.:eek:

5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm not sure that I have encountered chatter.
    I do hear feedback, and it's different with each razor.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I've always considered "chatter" as a condition that occurs when a TTO isn't tightened properly. The blade isn't aligned or may have play and will dig into the skins surface. If you want to know about chatter, use a TTO that's not tightened properly.

Make sure you have plenty of styptic on hand.

gorgo2, PLANofMAN, Jasman and 2 others like this.
  7. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

You can replicate this effect by not securing the top of a FaTip properly. . . or, so I've heard. :ashamed001:

PatrickA51 likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm with those who say chatter is caused by an unsecured blade. As I always double check the knob on my TTOs or the handle-head security on my 3-piece razors, I've never experienced chatter.

Bama Samurai and PatrickA51 like this.
  9. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I'm well aware of how to secure a TTO blade. Chatter does not have to be visible or even audible. It will most often be the cause of irritation without the user even realizing there is chatter. The vintage TTO razors were designed to use the old carbon steel blades which were heavier and thicker than the new blade so I'm not at all surprised the TTO razor would chatter. Does not occur with a two or three piece because of the more secure blade. If a user is getting irritation with a TTO I'd suggest trying a two or three piece or even a SE (borrow one) before chasing expensive blade samplers, pre-shaves and or soaps and creams.

10. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Thanks all for the info and input.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Semantics?

Feedback is good. Chatter is very bad. Made the mistake that you astutely avoid... It was the only real cut I've ever had from a DE.

Spyder, swarden43 and 178-bplatoon like this.