What's Cookin' for the 4th?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by blanka, Jul 2, 2012.

1. blanka

blanka I will not eat my shaving products. Promise.

What are you planning on serving/cooking for the 4th? I'll be smoking a whole packer brisket (pics later).

burpsan likes this.
  2. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Well its for Canada day not the 4tth but I am Smoking a Mutton shoulder for pulled sandwiches and making 3 kinds of burgers. smoked corn on the cob and slaw and tater salad.

burpsan likes this.
  3. Hirsute

Hirsute Active Member

Not traditional, but I'm smoking a turkey. Smoked turkey w/ red eye gravy and traditional BBQ sides (baked beans, cornbread, coleslaw, and watermelon).

burpsan likes this.
  4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Not sure what's cooking, because we will be visiting friends. Their apartment is on the Northern end of Staten Island, and has a great view of the fireworks in Manhattan.

burpsan likes this.
  5. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

What's cooking? Marinaded london broil on the grill :drool:

Who's cooking? Not me. :D

burpsan likes this.
  6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Visiting friends. Nothing fancy - burgers, dogs, beer can chicken - but oh, so good!

Billr and burpsan like this.
  7. blanka

Sounds great, everyone! I must admit that I'm highly intrigued by the smoked mutton idea. I'll be prepping my brisket this evening.

burpsan likes this.
  8. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

grilled burgers with all of the fixings, also going to throw some corn on the grill and some baked beans and cole slaw. Top off that great meal with some home made peach cobbler.:drool:

burpsan likes this.
  9. burpsan

burpsan Well-Known Member

Can I come for dinner? ;)

Miso yaki chicken at our home ... a tasty treat from my wife's homeland.

Enjoy your holiday and be safe everyone!

10. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I plan to play video games in the afternoon. I like to devour my opponent's hopes and dreams, then wash it all down with their tears of frustration.:D I'll probably eat a salmon salt bake in the evening.:eatdrink020:

blanka and burpsan like this.
  11. awake2shave

awake2shave Crazy Sharp Melon Baller

Ryan are you PS3 or Xbox?

12. blanka

DSCN1106.JPG

DSCN1104.JPG
    The brisket turned out to be one of my best-tasting yet! (although the smoke ring wasn't as deep as I usually achieve)

13. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Looks delicious Blanka, could I ask how long you cooked the brisket for???

14. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    My gamertag is PLANofMAN on the Xbox 360. If I ever get a PS3 it will be the same. (I had the foresight to create a gamertag for the PS3 just in case:D).

Blanka, that looks delicious.:eatdrink023:

blanka likes this.
  15. blanka

Thank you!

The night before cooking, I injected it with a mixture of beef broth & CosmoQ. In the morning, I rubbed it with Plowboy Bovine Bold and added some extra black pepper on top. I heated my smoker (with hickory wood) to 325 degrees and in she went. Once the internal temp of the brisket got to 165 degrees, I put the brisket into a foil pan with a couple cups of beef broth and covered with foil. It went back into the smoker until it reaced 205 degrees internal (about 5 hours after initially putting the brisket in the smoker). I then immediately wrapped it in 3 layers of heavy duty foil and a beach towel. Then it went into a cooler, surrounded and covered by layers of towels for about 5 hours. When I unwrapped it, it was still too hot to touch!

I cubed up the point and sliced the flat, as you can see in the pic. Note - I could have cubed up the point earlier and thrown it back into the smoker for a couple hours to make burnt ends, but I got lazy.

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

What are CosmoQ and Plowboy Bovine Bold?

17. blanka

18. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

That doesn't sound lazy to me, I haven't cooked brisket before but would like to try, although I'm quite proud of my homemade salt beef!!!