What's for dinner tonight?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by txskimo, Mar 8, 2015.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Pork Chops
    Cinnamon apples
    Fried potatoes
    Mashed potatoes
    Haricot Vert greens beans
    Greek salad
    I forgot the bread:(

AGHisBBS and Redfisher like this.
  2. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Some grilled shrimp with a few potstickers and some yellow rice.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Did you make the potstickers or buy them? If you made ‘em; how? If you bought em; where?

Redfisher likes this.
  4. Redfisher

I get them frozen from an Asian market close by. Pork and vegetables. Steamed then browned in the pan. They also sell a nice dumpling sauce also to go with. Definitely tasty.

AGHisBBS and MR41 like this.
  5. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

SWMBO is making a wonderful shephards pie (although to be honest it should be called ranchers pie, as it uses beef instead of lamb). In the pie though, we dont like peas in ours.
    With stewed carrots, and fresh cut green beans.

6. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

In England, we call it a cottage pie ...

Kilgore Trout, Redfisher and AGHisBBS like this.
  7. ordinaryshaver

That's quite interesting to know.
    I like it when it is rainy and overcast. It seems to stick to your ribs.
    Plus, with a good pint, it tastes even better.

Redfisher and AGHisBBS like this.
  8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Nope!

Redfisher likes this.
  9. Redfisher

Always been a favorite of mine, been awhile since I've had a good one!

10. ordinaryshaver

Are you saying your wife has been a favorite of yours,or Shepards pie?
    Just kidding.
    Tonight, we are having home made mac n cheese with pork tenderloin, and cabbage!

BamaT likes this.
  11. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

Similar to what some have shown in delicious-looking pictures, I happen to have just put an 8 pound bone-in pork butt roast in a large crockpot, slathered with liquid smoke, a simple generous rub of smoked paprika/kosher salt/and garlic powder, and then slathered with regular old Classic Frenches Yellow Mustard. Oh . . . and for the "sugar" I left out of the rub because I'm eating completely paleo now, I diced up 5 pitted medjool dates and spread them on top. Damn . . . . . just realized I forgot to put cayenne pepper in the rub . . . . nuts! Just sprinkled it on the top and around the sides of the pork roast -- nothing critical, it's just a crock pot. I'll be up till probably midnight to pull this baby apart. If it was not below zero F out right now, I'd be doing this on a Webber with the Smokenator attachment instead of using liquid smoke.

I'd love to hear the details of more pulled pork recipes from you all out there. I'm a total amateur, still learning.

Oh, by the way, are there any duck fans out there? My favorite is pan-fried de-boned skin-on canvasback breast filet (two per bird, as nature has issued). Just slash barely through the skin - not into the meat - every 1/4 inch one way, then the other to help release the fat upon frying. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Hot pan, but not hot enough to burn the fat. About 6 or 7 minutes skin/fat side down, and about 3 to 5 after turning the meat side down. Skin is crispy and good to eat; meat is best medium to medium rare. Cut on the slant, with the skin down, in 1/4 inch slices after a very brief "rest" and then plate immediately while hot. One duck - two breast filets - feeds two people nicely. You can make a great blueberry sauce from the drippings -- won't go into that here, but it is terrific with the duck. Try to save the rendered fat. If it gets too deep during the cooking, try to pour it off before it browns. Save it -- it's the best stuff ever to fry potatoes. It's good for you, too -- a natural healthy fat -- good for your brain.

I'm fresh out of canvasback, unfortunately. Maybe some of you know to what extent of cost and time I have to go through to get a canvasback or two each year (hunting). Canvasbacks are truly, and perhaps to some, paradoxically (a bottom feeding diver), the very best tasting duck. Their diet of predominantly vegetable material, in particular aquatic celery, makes the difference. I can see why market hunting in the late 19th and early 20th centuries dented the canvasback population so significantly; they are a delicacy. Actually, it isn't hunting, but rather agricultural practices and land usage (draining of wetlands and human population expansion) that keep the canvasback and many other animals from recovering, but I digress. Fat, late-season mallard also works well with this cooking method, as well as any tame duck from the grocery store -- better yet get a duck fresh from a farm, but they tend to be larger and fatter depending on the variety, so they cook a little differently. Get whole ducks if you can and make confit from the legs and thighs, and then make stock with the rest.

Serve duck with root vegetables like sweet potatoes, etc, and a good arugula salad or some cooked greens with some red pepper in the mix to give the greens some zing. Have a glass of good red wine while you're cooking, and if you have time enough, serve yourself and your guests an apertif cocktail such as a Negroni, or a cold ounce or two of Carpano Antica vermouth before the meal. Have some flourless chocolate cake and a grappa when you're done -- or maybe some raspberry sorbetto (easy to make) if you're not afraid of sugar -- it doesn't take much sorbetto be to satisfied, but it is difficult to stop!

Cheers!
    Tony

urrlord likes this.
  12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Taco soup and Mexican cornbread.
    IMG_1959.jpg

BigMark83, jimjo1031, BamaT and 5 others like this.
  13. chrisgeeo

chrisgeeo Well-Known Member

Homemade vegetable soup and fresh hot buttered cornbread. Apparently my wifey loves me![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

1 John Morrell polish sausage (from Dollar Tree)
    2 cans of Walmart black eyed peas
    a gneerous dollop each of A-1 and Rufus Teague BBQ saunce

Simmered for about an hour

Tasty.

jimjo1031 and BamaT like this.
  15. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Last night's meal: linguini with a garlic cream sauce and fresh pan seared shrimp topped with shredded parmesan cheese. Made it myself.:) Linguini and Shrimp.jpg

16. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Cookin up a pot of gumbo.Chicken and smoked country ham and awaiting the wife's arrival home from work to get her approval to add 2 cans of oysters.(not sure if she would like that addition to my usual gumbo)may throw a few diced sausage in it too.

17. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Spent a few days rescuing this antique Griswold waffle iron from a cruddy, rusty mess. It's a number 8, patented 1908, but I'm guessing this one is from the early '20s. I finished the restoration process yesterday, so tonight's dinner was a test. Waffles came out perfect, and a side of bacon makes everything better. It's at least as satisfying bringing back forsaken cast iron, as it is rescuing vintage razors.
    IMG_2025.jpg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  18. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

Yee Haw! Cnris Morris 357. That waffle iron is a wonderful find. Nice job getting it back up to snuff -- it looks great. Thanks for the nice pictures.

I see you are using your waffle iron on what appears to be a glass topped electric stove. We just had to change away from a gas cook top. One place we re-modeled (hi-rise condo) where gas was not a possibility, and a winter place in another state we built from new, where gas was also not available. Damn! Anyway, the manufacturers of both ranges said NO CAST IRON. Apparently they think either 1) the contact won't be good enough to transfer the heat (???) and/or 2) we'll scratch the glass. If you are using cast iron on a glass cook top or oven/range, please let me know how that works for you. I hate to give up my Wagners and Griswolds. Thanks!

Tony

Enrico and BamaT like this.
  19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Spice it up. Greek Peperoncini on BLT's, tasty.

AGHisBBS and BamaT like this.
  20. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Great restoration!

cmorris357 likes this.