What's in your glass tonight?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Darkbulb, Sep 30, 2013.

1. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I just picked up the New Belgium Brewery folly 12 pack sampler. I think tonight I will try the 2005 revival beer called 2 below ale. Has anyone tried it?

macaronus likes this.
  2. dcc

dcc Well-Known Member

Glenfarclas 12,cheers!

3. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Makers Mark, neat

And a Happy New Year to all of my TSD freinds.

Dave

4. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

We just got New Belgium here, maybe a few weeks ago. So far I've only seen 22oz of Fat Tire, Ranger IPA and their Triple. Don't think much of Fat Tire but I really liked Ranger. 2 below sounds like a nice beer, hopefully we'll get the sample packs here at some point.

5. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

New Belgium overall makes quality tasty beers IMHO. I just tried the 2 below and it is fantastic. It starts out with a malty caramel flavor but ends a bit hoppy. It is a big flavor that I find to be a perfect balance of malt and hops. I tried to post a picture but it is too big.

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Just finished my Lagavulin so, it's off to bed. Good night all and happy, healthy new year!

7. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Good night and happy new year!!

8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A quiet toast with my beloved of 30 years; two champagne flutes filed with a sweet Italian Asti sparkling wine.
    Happy 2014 all!

jpb437 likes this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Tonight: Jim Beam. Neat. Two fingers.

10. dscaver

dscaver Well-Known Member

Hot chocolate, it is 10 degrees out there

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Rum & Coke. Soon I'll be off to bed.

12. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

Tonight was a glass of Chateau St Michelle Riesling... and perhaps another shortly.

13. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

14. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Pale 31 pale ale from Firestone Walker. A great beer.

15. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Trying Firesone's Pivo Pils. I usually don't care much for pilsners but I figured I would give this a shot because I have literally never had a bad beer from Firestone.

The color is a light straw, about the usual for this type, very clear with a bright white head that dissipates quickly into lace. The aroma is piney and resiny. This isn't particularly surprising as this was billed as a "hoppy" pilsner. Carbonation is active with small bubbles. The flavor starts with hops and a malty sweetness that soon fades to a bitter finish. The mouthfeel is a little thin. I think I am not used to this much carbonation anymore as I have been drinking a lot of ales lately.

Overall this is one of the best pilsners I have ever had. That said I am not particularly fond of the style. This is, as always from Firestone, a very well made product. I would heartily rec this to fans of the pilsner style with the caveat that Pivo Pils has more IBUs than the style might typically call for.

I cannot not stress strongly enough that Firestone Walker is probably the best craft brewer in the No Cal region. And that is saying something considering there are a ton of great craft brewers around here. Their Pale 31 is a great pale ale (one of my favorite beers in existence). Union Jack and Double Jack for the serious hopheads. Everything is just first rate.

Edit: actually I think they are brewing in Paso Robles which would make them central coast rather than No Cal. Whatever, I am still claiming them.

16. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Dogfish Head 60 minute IPA

17. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

A nice cool, crisp glass of chardonnay…from a local winery.
    [​IMG]

Kizurra likes this.
  18. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

How was that?

19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Some Beam

20. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it.

I was working in TN that week, and I went to the store with the intentions of buying a bottle of Chimay Grande Reserve. The gentleman working there suggested the Sam Adams, and I was not disappointed.

I found Thirteenth Hour to be more characteristic of a dark ale than a stout, but I would buy it again.