What's in your glass tonight?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Darkbulb, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Lol if you buy the last bottle let me know so I can save a 15 min walk ;)

ob1page likes this.
  2. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Hahaha, we're doing Alcatraz tomorrow morning then I might take a detour going back to the hotel

3. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Scored a bottle of Pliny the Elder today :D
    Actual conversation at the liquor store today:
    Me: Do you have any Pliny?
    Owner: Yes....[walk towards the back room]...one.
    Me: Do you have two?
    Owner: I wouldn't even let my hot girlfriend buy two. You can only buy one.
    Me: Can I buy it and come back in and buy another one?
    Owner: See you next week

So what's the Pliny Elder all about?
    Made in Russian River it's one of highest rated IPAs ever made - it often scores 100/100 on review sites.
    It's released in very small batches so that the consumer will have it at its freshest (this lot apparently came in yesterday).

Price: $7 for a 16.09oz bottle.
    (But...then you can sell the empty bottle for $5 on eBay :) )

How good was it?
    I'll tell you tomorrow (I made the mistake telling a friend about it and now she's coming over tonight).
    [​IMG]

Dapper-in-a-can-man and ob1page like this.
  4. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Almost identical to my story except he also tried to tell me I needed a password first to buy it. I wish I knew about the bottle before I threw it out. It was one of my top 5 beers of all time

5. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Yeah that guy was a character :)

Anyway, the Pliny really did live up to its reputation - an excellent, excellent refreshing beer.

Now I might have to go back next week to get another bottle :)

Bird Lives and ob1page like this.
  6. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Home brew! My own home brewed stout! Mmmmmm...

rmcintyre84 and ob1page like this.
  7. K-zone

K-zone Well-Known Member

Nothing at the moment, but planning on a little Bayou Rum acquired during a holiday trip to Louisiana following a tour of the distillery

RyX likes this.
  8. Dapper-in-a-can-man

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Dad-on-hand

Run of the mill Ultra. :(

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've visited that place, along side I-10 between Lafayette & Lake Charles. Made from local sugar cane. They have a satsuma variety that was OK if you like flavored rum.
    Tonight my glass, or coozie as it were, was filled repeatedly with Michelob Ultra. Just before I left the wedding reception the bartender was emptying the last bottle of Patron Silver. Gotta do a shot with the Groom. I can feel the headache already.

K-zone likes this.
  10. K-zone

K-zone Well-Known Member

That's the place. I try to make it to Lake Charles every couple years to visit with old friends for a week or so - and yes the crawfish are awesome.

I try to make a stop at the distillery, and multiple stops at a snowcone place in Lake Charles that has about 50 flavors - the pistachio with cream is my weakness.

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Crawfish at a restaurant, or at your friends home?
    Steamboat Bill's is good. Seafood Palace might be better.
    Best is to get a sack and do em yourself. Then you can choose how spicy, and what else goes in the pot. Common sides being little red potatoes & corn on the cob. Uncommon? Mushrooms, asparagus, artichokes, onions, & whole garlic.

K-zone and Robyflexx like this.
  12. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Some overpriced French beer
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456628117.959524.jpg

13. aelfred.t.allspa

aelfred.t.allspa Well-Known Member

It's more pale in person, but it's my sour mojito mix with lemon lime mint beach chair white rum and of course extra mint leaves

Bird Lives likes this.
  14. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

As much as I enjoy a good beer, what I really love is a good glass of whiskey (or whisky, depending on the type). Whether it's bourbon, rye, scotch, or any other type, I love good whiskey.

In my glass tonight:
    Aberlour.jpg

15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

"Brewed on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay"

16. Bird Lives

That is an excellent example of the breed....:happy096: You can't hide the taste of a pure bred Single Malt....

Tonight a tried a dram of Monkey Shoulder Malted blend....It's really an excellent vatted malt...a blend of only single malts...I understand.....that they use three Speyside malts...of which Glenfiddich and Balvenie are two....

It is very smooth and at an excellent price point, but taste like it should cost more....Yet....that dram showed me how nice it is, but I do have a 15 year old Glenfiddich Solera....and I recommend spending the extra $20 for a bottle of this and it's still at a very nice price point and this also tastes like it should cost alot more aswell.....as I said, you can't hide the flavour of a real Single Malt.....It's one of the truths in life....:eatdrink047:

TheManWithNoName likes this.
  17. Bird Lives

Now that the embargo is gone....When will be able to get Havana Club Rum for our Mohitos?
    When I lived in Southside Turkey on the Med....Havana Club Rum became my favorite rum for mojitos....But when I came home I found out it was unavailable in the US....But now I suspect that will change shortly....}8^D Hopefully before the hot temps hit this summer....

18. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

Cabo Wabo silver and mango/pineapple juice.

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  19. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

I'm really glad you commented on the Monkey Shoulder blend. I've seen that on the shelf of my local liquor store and I've wondered if it was worth trying. I'll have to give it a try now.

Bird Lives and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  20. Bird Lives

Thanks for the comment....It's a very nice vatted malt blend....Head and shoulders above a regular blend....Johnny Walker's Black Label for instance....more in the same class as Johnny Walkers's Green Label........YMMV

Monkey Shoulder is a smoothy....the flavour profile printed on the label is dead on accurate....tastes of honey, vanilla & orange......and it works very nicely served 'neat'....I was quite frankly pleasently surprised...

It's not going to replace my Oban, Glenfiddich 15 yr Solera or Vagavullin for when I want something smokey...But for a simple dram in the evening to unwind...I think Monkey Shoulder will be getting the nod, at least til I have had the chance to spend sometime with it....I want to see how we get on after a little familiarity...it's not very complex, but it is very smooth and as I said, the price point is down around the cheaper blends...and it definitely rises above that scene....

Let me know what you think of it....

TheManWithNoName likes this.