What's in your glass tonight?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Darkbulb, Sep 30, 2013.

1. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

I love the the Johnny green label! So if you're telling me that Monkey Shoulder is on par with the green label, if not better than the green label, then I'm definitely down for trying it.

It's hard to imagine a 15-year-old single-malt would be able to replace a blended scotch, but it's nice to know the Monkey Shoulder is a good scotch to invest in. I'll definitely purchase a bottle of this in the future. It might be a while until I do purchase a bottle of this, but when I do, I'll be happy to let you know what I thought of it. Thanks again for the recommendation, Bird Lives. I'm always looking for a good scotch! :)

Bird Lives likes this.
  2. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I just now did a taste comparison between the Monkey Shoulder and Glenlivet 12....I'm impressed, the Monkey Shoulder holds it's own....The M-S has a little more 'burn'...but the Honey and Vanilla are impressive...

Yep...so far, I'm getting fonder of this product from William Grant & Sons....Glenffidich distilleries, with each tasting....}8^))

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
    GatorJoe and TheManWithNoName like this.
  3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Ohh I'm telling you, if you want to compare apples to apples....then compare Monkey Shoulder with JW Green label rather than Black Label....I do think it's better than Black Label for me at this time...and tasting...time will tell...I'm not saying it's better than Green Label...I haven't tasted Green Label in years, so I can't make a fair comparison...and the last time I did I also had a bottle of Lagavullin that was wasting everything in it's path....lol!

I'm not a big fan of blends....I'll take a single malt or vatted blend over a blend any day...and prefer 15/18 year olds as a rule, although Oban 14 yrs is a fav...but thats me...}8^)) This Monkey Shoulder is a triple malt...a vatted blend of 3 single malts and I have no idea of their ages...Glenfiddich, Balvenie, and Kininvie....but my money says they are youngsters...and it's blended in first generation bourbon kegs....It's a quality product, worth sampling....especially for the bread...It's not GREAT but it's definitely not bad....

Hope that doesn't sound too much like a politician....To me The Macallen 18 is great...but thats over $250....
    Glenfiddich 15 Solera is $50 something....Thats my standard.....JW Black label is between $30 and $40....and for me is at the bottom of this list....I think Monkey Shoulder, for between $28 and $32 falls below the Glenfiddich 15 and Glenlivet 15 and above the Black Label.....That definitely puts it in the "Bang for the Buck" catagory...

It works neat and is super for a mixer....

GatorJoe and TheManWithNoName like this.
  4. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robyflexx likes this.
  5. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

The Famous Grouse blended Scotch. Pairs well with the Nicaraguan cigar I'm puffing on.

Robyflexx likes this.
  6. tntsl

tntsl Active Member

Amen to what he said!
    And tonight it's Wild Turkey Rare Breed for me.

7. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

It's a grapefruit evening.

Im currently having a Ballast Point Grapefruit Sculpin which is a grapefruit IPA. Pretty dang good.
    I had an Illusive Traveler Grapefruit Shandy earlier and man was that strong. A little too much grapefruit for me but still okay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Halvor likes this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Got a bit of a cold AND I need to be up real early tomorrow morning..so I'm obviously drinking some whiskey tonight as I wade through stuff I need to wrap up.

[​IMG]

9. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

10. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

BigMike likes this.
  11. Halvor

Halvor Well-Known Member

Never seen or tried the grapefruit, but I've had both the regular and the habanero Sculpins. Probably among the best IPAs I've had!

12. Hairy Alaskan

The Habanero sounds interesting. I'll have to look for that.
    Alaskan Brewing makes a Jalapeño IPA which I tried for the first time last night. Not bad. The Jalapeño smell is a little more pronounced than the taste.

13. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

The gf made mango margaritas with salt n chili. On the rim....not too bad

14. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Looks like you've got the right medicine. Hope you're feeling better.

Hairy Alaskan likes this.
  15. Hairy Alaskan

I have found that liquor helps to tame a sore throat.
    I just wish my boss would be more understanding.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BigMike and Robyflexx like this.
  16. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

I found this at the grocery tonight and I couldn't pass it up. Ballast Point Sculpin is my second favorite IPA behind Pliny so I hoped this was also good...it was. More of a winter beer but I still really enjoyed it
    [​IMG]

Robyflexx and Jasman like this.
  17. ob1page

ob1page Frozen in Phoenix

Another great IPA tonight. This may replace Ballast Point Sculpin as my #2. I'm going to have to torture myself and do a taste comparison ;)
    [​IMG]

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. Hairy Alaskan

Those both look good. I will have to go on a hunt this week.

19. Mr. Freeze93

Mr. Freeze93 Prefers the baby blue dress

Rolling Rock. Not the best beer I have ever had but it's not that bad either. Besides the 18 pack was free and you cant beat free beer.

ob1page likes this.
  20. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

A wee dram of Oban :)