What's new in higher end razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by droberts0503, May 30, 2019.

1. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I've been away for a while, happily shaving away with the Merkur Futur that CyanideMetal gave me a number of years ago but I'm looking to add some variety, and possibly a milder shaver, to my routine.

I haven't been keeping up with razor development for a long time so I'm kind of out of the loop with what's available now. I'm not interested in vintage and am looking for DE but other than that I'm pretty open. I prefer rescues on the heavier side and I like smooth handles over knurled ones, not bother of those are deal breakers. I've always admired the Above the Tie line, especially the 7 piece set, and it looks like they are still doing what they do. I also liked the look of Standard Razors but I see they have shifted production to China and I'd rather the manufacturing was done in house or at least in the country of the razors origin. So I guess my question is, are there any newer companies making interesting, higher end razors that I need to check out and are there companies I should be avoiding?

Many thanks in advance.

brit, RyX, Keithmax and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I love my Karve and to me the quailty of machine work on the Karve far exceeds the price of the razor. Clint @clint64 just purchased a Tatara Masumune and that thing looks amazing and he is really enjoying the shaves it gives. I am sure he will chime in here as well. The Karve is the "highest" end razor I own but I do get to admire a lot of beautiful razors on the TSD.

brit, RyX and Keithmax like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

About how much do you want to spend?

brit and Hembree like this.
  4. droberts0503

I finally get to say, as much as I need to spend. I don't really have a set amount, I just want to get something that is well made, works well for me and I like the look of.

brit, RyX and Hembree like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Depends what your needs are then. There are plenty of razors that are great performers in the under $100 realm but if you just want a purdy piece of metal then I could recommend you some seriously high priced turds also.

Also understand a razor that may not work well for you now might be different later on as your shaving skills improve. That is the nice thing about adjustable razors like that Futur you've been using.

Last edited: May 30, 2019
  6. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:happy102: I am sorry but that wording is funny.

brit and RyX like this.
  7. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Take a look at Blackland razors for starters. Reason being they offer a 30 day return period on any razor they sell. If you don't like it you can return it and get your money refunded sans whatever the return shipping costs plus any restocking fees if they have those.

8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

My other suggestion is check the BST on here and other razor forums along with ebay for used listings/completed sales. If you see any particular razor or brand showing up more than others you might want to avoid buying one new. If the razor or said brand was so good to begin with people wouldn't be offloading them in those numbers then.

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If Above the Tie offers a 30 day return like Blackland does which I don't know if they do then they become a low risk proposition to buy a razor from also.

10. droberts0503

Well that kind of missed the "woks well for me" and possibly the "well made" requirements

Hembree likes this.
  11. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

I'd have to second the Karve razor as well. Super efficient shaver but still very mild. It practically sings to you as you shave with it.

RyX and Hembree like this.
  12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I don't know what works for you but the 2 vendors I mentioned sell what are regarded as "well made" and they make or locally source their razors. I am sure you can find something in their offerings that work for you if you want to buy every razor they make since money is no option for you and try them 1 at a time returning those you don't like.

Hembree likes this.
  13. droberts0503

I wouldn't say money is no object, it is definitely a consideration but near the bottom of the list. I guess a better description is that I don't want to limit things by price right off the bat.

Hembree likes this.
  14. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

In order to get an idea of what works for you, what setting(s) on your Futur do you prefer to use? Knowing that for example if you take a closer look at the Karve razors like others suggested that will give you an idea which base plate(s) you would want to get if you don't want to buy the full set. The A plates are the mildest and I forget which is the highest letter plate but the higher the letter, the bigger the gap and in turn the more aggressive the plate.

RyX and Hembree like this.
  15. droberts0503

I have it set about 1.5, that's all I need for a 2 pass shave. My understanding is that even though it's a lower setting, the gap is still pretty large and larger than a lot of the "aggressive" plates sold by many vendors. The Karve does seem to be the exception to that.

I would likely but multiple base plates of different gaps they has if are offered, and thinking about it I guess is be looking for something to complement the Futur rather than replace it so milder seems more on the cards.

Hembree likes this.
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Get a feeler gauge and check the gap on your Futur with a blade in it set at 1.5 and you can use that measurement to try to size up a plate close to what you are using now gap wise. Karve for sure gives the specs on the gap for their plates on their website. If want milder you'll know for sure which plates you should consider that way.

Hembree likes this.
  17. droberts0503

Right. According to some third party data, the gap is about 1.15mm, which is why I think most available will be milder.

Hembree likes this.
  18. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Just get s Rockwell 6s.
    Great Razor and the $ Price is Good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigD and Hembree like this.
  19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

The Rex Ambassador is an option if you're in the market for an adjustable. The handle has heavy knurling though.

The Blackland Blackbird and Dart are both great razors without the heavy knurling.

Timeless Razors are another option. I have the SS .95 blade gap that I really enjoy. I don't know if you're interested in bronze but the Timeless Bronze SB and OC are worthy of consideration. SB is very smooth while the OC has more blade feel.

Those are the modern DE's I have first hand experience with. Looking forward to seeing which razor you choose. Happy hunting!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RaZorBurn123 and Hembree like this.
  20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

A few I forgot to mention:

Above the Tie S1 Slant is a mild razor. It took me a while to get my technique down with it to get a close shave.

Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Copper Ascension is another nice razor. Adjustable by tightening or loosening the handle up to a quarter turn.

I've only had one shave with the Razorock Wunderbar. Initial impression is it's an efficient intuitive razor.

They'll all give you a great shave. It's pretty much about the aesthetics that appeal to you.
    Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hembree likes this.