What's the best synthetic brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Straight razor dandy, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Im just curious what the best synthetic brush would be for:

1) best synthetic with money as NO object

and

2) best synthetic for the VALUE

Any advice would be appreciated

RaZorBurn123 and dustmite like this.
  2. JR Reyes

JR Reyes I scream for....chicken wings??

The only one who can answer this question is your face...

I personally enjoy the larger 26mm plisson-type synthetic knot...as well as the ubersoft 2 knot.

I still need to try a game changer synthetic knot from AMACK.

3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Answer to both questions: Simpson Chubby 2 Synthetic

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I think that beyond a shadow of a doubt: What He said. ^^^

Straight razor dandy and Boojum1 like this.
  6. Straight razor dandy

I have had badger and boar brushes. Im trying to decide if synthetic has any value for me.

7. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Thanks for bringing this up, I was curious about this, too.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

They are not my general preference, but definitely have their advantages, fast drying being the main. You do not need to presoak, they lather like a big dog, they can take a lot of abuse, and they are generally inexpensive.

If you travel often, I would call it a must.

As far as which to buy, the Simpson Chubby is the only one I enjoy enough that it stays in my regular rotation. The look, the face feel of the knot, the handle.... It isn't only a brush that fits into any collection, it's a brush that when you close your eyes, it almost could be silvertip on your face.

A guy doesn't need to jump in $90 deep to get a good synthetic by any means. While none that I have tried have the face feel of the Chubby, (even the other Simpson synthetic or Muhle STF), you can get an excellent performer from Stirling, Maggards or Italian Barber for just a few dollars.

I don't know, seems like every wet shaver should have at least one.

9. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

My Omega high-line is is a fantastic brush. Wonderfully soft, with plenty of loft. I just love it. Whether it's the best or not, I really couldn't say but it was incredibly inexpensive (new). I know some of you guys have dozens of brushes to compare, so maybe there are even better synthetic brushes.

10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Money no object the best synthetic brush I have used.

Excellent post. The Simpson Chubby 2 synthetic cost the most by far. It's the only one that to me feels like a high dollar badger brush. However, for that feeling I find it takes longer to dry compared to other synthetics. The CH2 knot is just so dense. Once I held one I could see why it cost more.

However just as you said, you can get excellent performance and value prices as well.

11. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I've tried the following:
    • Omega S-Brush
    • Whipped Dog 30mm
    • Whipped Dog 24mm
    • The Grooming Company Synthetic
    • Plisson L'Occitane
    • Asylum Brush Works Scanlon
    • Stirling Kong 26mm
    My favorite face lathering brush is the TGC. Nice compact, dense knot, with a nice 2:1 loft:knot ratio.
    My favorite head lathering brush is the Kong. Larger knot, higher loft for more splay across the dome.

12. Straight razor dandy

What do you think about the stirling kong for the face? I ask because that is one I am considering.

clint64 likes this.
  13. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Coming from someone with a circle beard, I find it a bit too large for my face, although if I'm shaving both face and head, I use it and it works just fine. I tend to splay more than I use paint brush strokes, so I tend to get lather in places I don't need it with the Kong.

PickledNorthern and clint64 like this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    +1

clint64 and PickledNorthern like this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I have the RR Plissoft, Stirling 24MM and Satin Tip The Purest. I am finding that I prefer the Stirling over the plissoft because the way the knot is set it gives it a little more back bone. If you like a brush with a little more scritch or scrubbyness the satin tip is wonderful.

Robyflexx likes this.
  16. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

To answer both question is this picture below because I bloody LOVE IT, and it would be really nice if Simpsons could make a fan shape knot the brush shall become a real winner on earth.

[​IMG]

17. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Crikey, I just went to the Simpsons website, it's a very good job you love it.

18. korbz

korbz Active Member

RR Monster answer to both.

19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Really? I believe that for "value for money", but for "money no object"?

Edit: if money was no object, then I might go for a Rod Neep custom handle with a Mühle Silvertip Fibre knot.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2016
  20. Bertotrumpet

Bertotrumpet New Member

The Razorock Plissofts, especialy the Big Bruce( Wonderful handle)are just heavenly. But my favorite so far is the Fine Stout 24mm. It's wide knot low loft and has just a bit of scritch, makes it feel just like a chubby badger!! But the kong was my first synthetic and still is king!