Whats the deal with Family Dollar Old Spice AS?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Geo, Mar 28, 2013.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

India or New Jersey? You decide.

All kidding aside, I have mixed Avon Spicy, Family Dollar Spice and Current Old Spice (US) made and it really works well for me and I was able to get rid of three bottles by filling a larger dark amber bottle.

2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

It's a true testament to the knockoff OS. I tried to add Aqua Velva to a knockoff, it wasn't the same IMO. The New Jersey reference is NJ is my birth state.

3. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

AV to my nose has a distinctive scent that some items are close to but none seem to really come close enough.

Now Aqua Velva went through a major revampment of scent in the sometime in the 1950s-60s when it was reformulated to Ice Blue. I have a bottle of the AV made before that change and it was totally different scent than it is now. I wish I knew when that product change took place but that was well before my time. That may be research for another day...

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  4. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

Haven't tried Family dollar brand yet. I find that the regular OS aftershave dissipates too quickly so I do a 50/50 mix of OS aftershave and OS cologne. It seems to give it more legs.

5. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

Thanks for reviving this thread, I had not read this one.

I'll be stopping by a FD soon to try this.

6. LifesShort

LifesShort Well-Known Member

Following Bobcat's advice, I made a mixture of P&G Old Spice and Family Dollar Spice a while back and I love it. As a matter of fact, I used it just today. Great stuff and smells just like I remember my father wearing.

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. gunslinger1108

gunslinger1108 Active Member

Is it bad for me to say I like the newer aqua velva ice blue to a bottle I picked up that was from 1976? yeah I got bicentennial bottle. It was in the box with the plastic wrap still on. Wonder if time has took it's toll on the fragrance. I was purely after a glass bottle to put aqua velva ice blue in. It being sealed was bonus.

feeltheburn and 178-bplatoon like this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I like new Aqua Velva Ice Blue and Ice Sport, I decant it to glass when I get mine....I also like the Famly Dollar Old Spice which I also decant to glass....:)