What's Your Best Shaving Related Find or Discovery of 2015?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by figment714, Dec 1, 2015.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm going to have to pick up some of that Snakebite AS. It will make a great Christmas present for my cousin, who likes the "cold" stuff. I thought about it this summer but forgot, thanks for reminding me. :)

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

TSD for the friendly members and suggestions on being perhaps more creative with shaving than I have been(within budgetary means that is). Glad I found Rise too, which as I said in another post should last me until my college freshman nephew flips his cap into the air and gets out into the world. Then, with the cap-flip, I'll just make another order out!!!

Joef likes this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Razor: Mongoose
    Soap: Gingers Garden
    Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
    Aftershave: Myrsol F/Extra
    Shaving Forum: The Shave Den :)

Omelmad and Jasman like this.
  4. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Strop Shoppe shaving soaps

L'Occitane Cade shave balm

figment714 likes this.
  5. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

For me it was not a thing, it was a realization:

Don't believe the Hype ;)

I've spent hundreds of Euros this year just to eventually get THE best soap, THE best blade, THE Uber Razor. Bought the Plisson Synthi - sold it. Bought the much-loved Stirling Kong - sold it. Bought quite a few razors which I rarely use. During the NOVember challenge I suddenly realized: With the proper technique I get great shaves from my very first razor, the Mühle R89. I don't have to have more than 3 or 4 blade brands to choose from and the first soaps/creams I got (Taylor, D.R. Harris and Cella) are still pretty much my favorites.

Okay - there IS actually one piece of software I have to highlight: the La Toja stick is just awesome - fantastic performance for a fantastic price and I have already ordered 3 Sticks from a spanish vendor.

So it won't be exactly a NoBuy 2016 for me, but a MuchLessBuy nonetheless. I'll try to order an AlumiGoose and maybe one REALLY nice and high-quality badger brush (Shavemac or Simpson), but that should be all.

And I will thin the herd and sell/give away stuff I rarely use. It won't actually come down to "one man, one rifle", but I'll just keep the stuff I like best.

figment714 likes this.
  6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Razor: Mongoose
    Brush: The Varlet Beehive
    Soap: MDC Fougere'
    Aftershave: Fine - Platinum
    Moisturizer: Whipped Shea Butter

figment714 likes this.
  7. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Best finds in 2015? :signs002: Let me list them (in no particular order):

1. The Shave Den. I respectfully tip my top hat to all of you on this fine forum...you have welcomed me and never once did you question whether I look like my avatar;:happy096:
    2. The Gillette Heavy Tech...the closest thing to shaving perfection;:happy036:
    3. Proraso pre/post Shave Cream and Noxema cream. Goodbye preshave oil...hello preshave cream! It has made a world of difference in my morning shave. Awesome stuff! :eatdrink047:

Paul Turner and mrchick like this.
  8. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Wait....you don't look like your avatar?

Rusty blade likes this.
  9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Actually...now that you mention it...I do!

Darkbulb likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Gillette President for $36.
    DSCF8429s.jpg

11. waddowedonowmo

waddowedonowmo Well-Known Member

Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blades and Cella.

Jayaruh and figment714 like this.