What's your culinary repertoire?

Discussion in 'The Cookbook' started by Sabre, Feb 27, 2016.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Macrons anybody?

My first attempt at French macarons. Unflavored light pink shells with vanilla buttercream filling. the recipe made 18 in total so you just have a preview here.

[​IMG]

-- Richard, Czar of Cheddar

MntnMan62, wristwatchb and Sara-s like this.
  2. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Ooh can you e-mail me some?

richgem likes this.
  3. richgem

Sorry, but all gone.:(

4. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

:sad023::sad023:

5. richgem

I forgot to take a picture, but I made a stuffed (jelly roll style) pork loin the other day for some guests. First time making a stuffed loin. Filled with apple, apricot, and prunes with matching sauce which also contained a bunch of warm spices, red wine, and chicken stock.

Not patting myself on the back, well, maybe just a wee bit, but I've never seen food disappear so quickly. Well, into peoples' mouths anyhow. ;)

Served with rice pilaf and a tomato salad. Lemon curd in small ramekins with berries for dessert.

MntnMan62 likes this.
  6. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here’s just a few. My girlfriend and I are sort of foodies, so enjoy making lots of things. Beef and fish are prominent as are asparagus and broccoli or whatever veggie is available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. richgem

First time with this recipe. No knead cranberry walnut yeast bread.

IMG_20210711_133441.jpg

Edison Carter and IAmTheJody like this.
  8. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

That looks absolutely yummmm!

9. richgem

Thanks! It came out a wee bit salty, but I'm happy with it otherwise. But super easy to make.

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Sorry no pictures but here is my recipe for redneck sushi or as I call it pushi. Instead of fish I use raw pork. I sort of cheat though since I do pasteriuze the pork.

Ingredients

Meat
    pork loin, tenderloin, pork belly whatever meat you prefer

Rice
    2 cups with rice
    3 cups water
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon pork fat or lard
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 teaspoon salt

Wrapper

Pork skin from a pork belly

Wrapper preparation

1. If you don't already have a pre skinned pork belly skin. Remove the skin from the belly and remove the hair if it has any then wash it clean.

2. Cut into strips about the size you want your rolls to be when wrapped up.

3. Boil in salted water for about 1/2 hour or until the skin has turn almost translucent.

4. If you didn't have a pre skinned belly, scrape the remaining fat off with a butter knife and / or run a filet knife flat against the skin.

Rice preparation.

Optional step
    First soak the rice in water and some acidic medium like vinegar or lemon juice for 8 hours or so prior to using to break down the phytic acid. Rinse when done and use when ready.

1. If you didn't soak the rice then rinse until the water runs clear in a strainer.

2. Add water and rice in a pan, heat until boiling then reduce the heat to the 2 setting and let sit for 20 minutes covered. Rice will be finished when the water has fully absorbed and let cool until it can be handled.

3. In a separate sauce pan combine remaining rice ingredients. Heat to medium and cook until the sugar dissolves stirring as needed. Let cool and add to rice. Stir until the rice is dry.

Meat preparation

1. Cut meat into small pieces.

Semi optional step only if you don't want to eat fully raw pork for health or other reasons.

2. Pasteurize the pork. I do this using a sous vide cooker.
    Time and temperature chart here for pork. Use Table 5.2
    https://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html#Table_5.1
    Adjust accordingly for the beginning temperature of your particular pork pieces.

3. As some as pasteurization is reached put bag(s) with pork into a bath of ice and let cool to room temp or colder.
    Pushi preparation

1. Put the amount of rice and meat you want on each skin strip.

2. Roll make sure there is overlap of the skin and hold together with a toothpick for each piece.

3. For plating put on a Dixie plate, preferably one that is misshaped for that artsy look and squirt some 57 sauce or equivalent on the plate. Make sure it looks like you made mess of the sauce before adding as many pushi rolls as you like.

4. Eat and enjoy.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
  11. richgem

Pavlova anyone?

Resizer_16327708082200.jpg

PanChango and IAmTheJody like this.
  12. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

richgem likes this.