What's your favorite after shave?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jbcohen, Oct 12, 2007.

1. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

The Aqua Velva Classic, a.k.a. "Aqua Velva", "Aqua Velva Ice Blue",etc.....is the stuff most commonly found in drugstores (and the stuff cloned by drugstores). I'm pretty sure its the same stuff you are using.

[​IMG]

2. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Interesting I do not have that one available to me in my area. Going to take a look at a neighborhood barber supply store shortly.

3. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Which one are you using when you refer to "combe" aftershave?

4. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

The Ice Blue, not the ice blue sport or the ice blue musk, or the balm.

After a trip to my company's store I have learned that there are two groups of after shaves.

There are buget after shaves which generally range in price from $2 to $10. These include Acqua Velva, Pinaud, Brut and P&G's Old Spice. Then there are the highend types which generally start in price from $10 on up to the stratosphere. I took a visit to my company's store, where the company is not allowed to make a profit off emplyees so they sell things to employees at the comapny's cost. Man I can get some real bargin's where the other stores have a high markup on the items. I can get high end P&G OS After Shave, which normally sells for $40 at the company's price at $20 then they are taking a further markdown to $9, I presume the company store is no longer going to cary the product. So essentially the comany is taking a dive on the sale. OS I believe is the high end version of the Old Spice After Shave that is normally sold in places such as CVS.

5. OldSaw

OldSaw Active Member

Is this a P&G company store?

6. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

You are indeed using the "Classic" Aqua Velva Ice Blue

7. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

Interesting the cover of the bottle does not say clasic on it. It just says Ice Blue on it.

Bad news and good news

First the bad:

I checked out Sally's Beauty Supply this afternoon and I need to say that I can understand what forum members are telling me about the store. They do not have much in terms of men's grooming supplies. Its rather slim pickings, the store is devoted to women's grooming supplies. I picked up a bottle of Master's Bay Rum, now I can understand quite well what forum members are saying when they talk about Bay Rum and how they like it so much.

:bounce

Now the good News:

I did notice that my area has something that referred to it as the Beauty Supply Store. It was in an unlikely are of town in very cramped store. I think the shop could use double the space that they had. They had a whole lot of items pressed into a very small space. However, I found no less then seven different varieties of after shave that I have not tried yet.

Between the seven at the beauty supply store plus the two more that I have not tired yet that CVS has plus the four that I have tried already. I think that thirteen varieties is enough for me to settle on what I like.

However, the Mrs is not telling me that she likes anything yet. I think that she has reversed course on the Aqua Velva (what I said that she liked it before was correct at the time I said it).

Also on my way through another part of the area, I noticed the same sort of beauty supply store in other areas. Meaning I should be well supplied in terms of after shaves.

8. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

I understand now what forum members have said on various cassions that Bay Rum and Pinaud are rather strong stuff. I tried a sniff of both of the Acqua Velva next to the Master's Bay Rum and man the bay rum is strong stuff.

9. Crag

Crag Member

I have 2 favorites...

T&H Trafalgar After-shave...NOT ASB, unfortunately it is no longer made and VERY hard to come by.

I also really enjoy Musgo Real Orange Amber.

There you have it~!

Matt

10. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Hey! I want that!

11. berzerkeleyan

berzerkeleyan New Member

I find myself reaching for aftershaves in this order:

1. Italian Floid
    2. --
    3. --
    4. --
    5. Aqua Velva
    6. Proraso ASB
    7. Speick
    8. Burt's Bees Bay Rum ASB

Italian Floid wins almost everytime.

I must admit, there are some I haven't tried (e.g., Musgo Real, Proraso Splash) that are said to be fantastic.

12. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I like many, but Clubman regular jumped out at me.

13. Paul Turner

Master's may be my next Bay Rum, after I finish my Stephan's. I like Stephan's, but may want to experiment with Master's.

14. recon813

recon813 New Member

I've grown close to Captains Choice Bay Rum. Has a great scent and face feel. Hard to pick just one

Joef likes this.
  15. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

One of my favorites is Captains Choice North. I modified it a bit with a healthy dose of menthol. The combination of the juniper/ pine scent and menthol is pretty fine.:happy088:

Joef likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

I have Stephan's currently, and like it a lot. May try Master's next.

17. Fred Hill

Fred Hill Well-Known Member

Mennen After Shave Original Skin Bracer!

18. Paul Turner

I like that one a lot...good for summer.

Fred Hill likes this.
  19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

It keeps changing for me...if I were to pick my top three favorites right now it would be;
    1) Anherb,
    2) Myrsol Plastic Shave
    3) Soap Commander Endurance ASB

20. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Threadsurection!

1) Alt Innsbruck
    2) Pinaud Clubman
    3) Floid (Blue or Amber, tie...)
    4) Lucido
    5) Speick

Spyder likes this.