What's Your Latest 100 Blade Purchase, And Why??

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by DaltonGang, Apr 15, 2016.

1. brit

brit in a box

;):eatdrink047:

MacDaDad likes this.
  2. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Last was in Dec 2020.
    Gillette Super Silver Platinum Plus (Vintage).
    Because they're just perfect. For me.

[​IMG]

3. awk-m4

awk-m4 Well-Known Member

Very cool! Were they made in Italy?

4. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

Xactly, there are more than one way to skin a whisker. :p

awk-m4 likes this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Well….I’m revisiting the Tatras. Seems there are some things we intellectually know, but somehow forget in everyday practice. Like smooth blades with more aggressive razors, sharp blades with less aggressive razors, at least generally speaking. My preferred razors are a Slim and Black Beauty set on 4, sometimes 5, depending on my mood at the moment, paired with GSB, Astra SP, Gillette Platinum, or Nacet blades. When I tried the Tatra initially I left the Black Beauty on 4 where I had it, shave was definitely less than satisfactory. Same with the Slim. About a week or so ago, I decided to try the Tatra again, but moved the Black Beauty to 6. There was a considerable difference! Yesterday evening I tried the Tatra in the Slim, also set on 6; better, but not as good as the Black Beauty on 6. Didn’t shave today, but will try moving the Slim to 7 and see how that works. At this point I still prefer the sharper blades on a moderately mild setting, but I will have to say the Tatras worked better on higher settings. If you have a more aggressive razor, I’ll be glad to send you a tuck and let you try them before spending any money on them. PM me your address if you want a tuck.

MacDaDad, awk-m4 and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

the tatras/tigers are nice blades .i purchased them in 100 packs due to price.i would consider them them both to be mid grade sharp wise,both are smooth feeling and comfortable in a mid grade razor.i like nacet/platinum sharpness in my mild/medium razors..enough said on my part.they will get used,passed along and so on.next...:):eatdrink047:

7. brit

brit in a box

not 1oo,but 50 bolzano blades.love the packaging,smooth and long lasting.a good friend put me on to them..;).nice in a mid aggressive razor.

awk-m4, DaltonGang and Lockback like this.
  8. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Tried Tatra blades in the Slim set on 6 and 7, but not great results, certainly less than the Black Beauty on 6 with a fair amount of irritation. After revisiting the Tatras, overall they just don’t work as well for me and my course heavy beard. I’m going to stick to my preferred GSB, Gillette Platinum, Astra SP, and Nacet blades.

awk-m4 and brit like this.
  9. Ratpoison

Ratpoison Well-Known Member

Today: 500 Gillette Silver Blue & 100 Nacet’s

Cause I started visiting The Shave Den website and caught R.A.D. :drool:

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well done. Excellent blades.

awk-m4, brit and Ratpoison like this.
  11. Ratpoison

Thanks.

brit likes this.
  12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

100 Gillette Silver Blues, and 100 Gillette Blue Platinum. Both these blades, along with Astra SP, perform superbly for me in any razor. I’m beginning to get concerned about future availability of Russian blades, and may order some more soon.

jtspartan, awk-m4, DaltonGang and 4 others like this.
  13. Ratpoison

Ya right that's basically why I did it. I'd hate to get short on em'.

awk-m4, MacDaDad, brit and 2 others like this.
  14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Yeah, the main reason I tried the Tatra blades was hoping for a good alternative just in case the Russian blades dried up. That didn’t work out, so I’ll be adding to my inventory of Gillette and Astra SP.

DaltonGang, Ratpoison and awk-m4 like this.
  15. Ratpoison

Unfortunately, the way things are has turned us in to hoarders mainly the blades. Does any one man need 1,600 blades... No. But I read of guys with way more than that. Besides IMHO not many blades can compare to Russian's

awk-m4 and BamaT like this.
  16. DaltonGang

I am scared to count how many blades I have.
    A lot of Vintage ones.

BamaT likes this.
  17. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

100 Crown Stainless half blades.
    reason- they came with the Beauticone Rosewood Shavette I purchased.
    So far they appear to be an odd 4 use blade.
    the first two shaves are draggy and then shaves 3 and 4 are smooth then shave 5 the blade gives a lot of irritation.So 4 use it is.

DaltonGang likes this.
  18. DaltonGang

Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement for Crowns.

MacDaDad likes this.
  19. urrlord

Now that I think about it maybe the blades have a coating on them. Causing drag until it wears off and then you get a couple of good shaves out of it until it blunts. Maybe corking the blade before use would be of benefit. Or these blades are marketed towards the barber market for hair lining and trimming. As such are produced as a single use product.

20. urrlord

"Uneasy is the head that uses the Crown......"

a quote attributed to either Shakespeare or Urrlord historical provenance is uncertain.