When I make the move

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jbcohen, Nov 1, 2007.

1. jbcohen

jbcohen New Member

To a straight I would like a type that is not going to rust so that I can learn and take the process slow. I understand that there are stainless steel straights, do these resist rust? What type do I need?

2. jnich67

jnich67 Member

Stainless is more resistant to rust than carbon blades, but if you don't treat them right, they will stain or rust at some point.

I try to keep water away from the shank and pin area. I dry the razor well after each use and leave it out and open for 15 minutes or so to air dry. I've never had a problem with rust on any carbon blade. If you have A/C in the summer, I don't think you should have a problem either. There are a lot more carbon blades around then stainless, so don't miss out on a good razor just because its carbon. Its not that big a deal.

The more common stainless razors are the Dovos (Inox) and the Henckels Friodurs. John Crowley has some stainless Wackers at shavingshop.com as well.

Jordan

3. Orgborn

Orgborn New Member

Keeping a blade from rusting is the easiest maintainace involved with a straight razor. Without proper care, stainless steel will rust as well.

4. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Plenty of razors available in stainless or carbon steel. You take care of your DE razors so they don't rust right? Do the same for a straight and you don't have to worry.

5. Will

Will Nevermind

Dry it well when you are done shaving (stroping after the shave works pretty well).

No rust to worry about then.

Also keep the scales from getting wet at all.