When to apply moisturizer?

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Sean Coughlin, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Sean Coughlin

Sean Coughlin Well-Known Member

My post-shave routine has been pretty consistent:

Cold water splash, alum, witch hazel, & once my face is dry again, I apply a moisturizer (currently using Skin Drink by Lush cosmetics & loving it)

Just curious if this is the best time to do it - how about the rest of you? Do you use a moisturizer? If so, when? How does moisturizer factor in for you if you use aftershave?

2. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

In the morning if my face is a little puffy I'll put on an ice pack while doing stomach crunches. I can do 1000 now. After I remove the ice pack I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower I use a water activated gel cleanser, then a honey almond body scrub, and on the face an exfoliating gel scrub. Then I apply an herb-mint facial mask which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an after shave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion.*

*That's only funny if you recognize my avatar.

3. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I like to use it after a shower, while my skin is still damp. So I guess, just after a shave (while your skin is still damp) would work too.

4. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

Usually I apply moisturizer as the last step before I leave for the day..

5. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

While I do not use any moisturizers, perhaps I can be of assistance. I use CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser , I also do not use WH that contains Alcohol, and might even stop using AF WH, as I find it is next to useless. WH and Alum are both astringents, bad for people with dry skin, and My guess is you could be over drying your skin. Try using either the Alum or WH and not both. Keep using the Moisturizer though and you could also give Balms a chance.

6. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

After my cold water rinse, I wait a few minutes for my face to dry and then use a 50/50 mixture of Witch hazel and Aloe that I keep in a spray bottle.

7. J_Man

So you put in an 8 hour day in the bathroom?

Mr. Shaverman and markjnewcomb like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Post shave cold-water rinse, alum block (sometimes), rinse again; dry; apply moisturizing post-shave balm. That's pretty much my routine.
    Since my SR technique has continued to improve, I use the alum block less than before.

9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

“All it comes down to is this: I feel like s*!t but look great.”

And it could have been worse...you could have described your use of gerbils ;)

Mr. Shaverman and J_Man like this.
  10. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

What kind of aloe do you use? I would like to try that combination.

11. J_Man

It's a 12oz bottle of clear 100% Aloe called Fruit of the Earth. I get it at Walmart.

12. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Thanks, I will see if I can get it here. I appreciate it. I'm having issues with razor burn. It occurred to me today that for me an Astra blade does me two shaves and that's it.

13. J_Man

You can use any kind of Aloe that you can find. I just prefer to use ones that don't contain dye, alcohol, fragrance, and so on.

Spud likes this.
  14. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Is it a gel or a liquid? If it's a gel, does it mix well with WH?

15. J_Man

It's a thick Gel as most Aloe is. About the consistency of the average hair gel and yes just pour both into a container, shake well and it mixes very well.

16. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I will try it for sure. Thanks again.

17. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

It is always a good idea to wash your face with warm water and a facecloth before bed to remove dirt and oils before you go to sleep. I always moisturize following this pre-bed face wash.

crackstar likes this.
  18. Cheechako

Cheechako Active Member

[​IMG]

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I apply moisturizer after each shower and shave.