Where are you in your shaving journey...?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Primotenore, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    We want details. :signs002:

Hembree likes this.
  2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

#Zen

3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Knowing what I know now, would I change anything? Yeah. I would have bought those 'too expensive' razors on eBay. I kept passing on razors, waiting for the right deal or a bargain. In the last 15 years, all those razors I passed up have doubled or tripled in price. Not that I sell razors from my collection very often.

I've pretty much reached the peak. There's nothing new left to learn, and I've used enough different products to know what I like and don't like. I'm not afraid to spend money on something really unique, but I've long passed the "jump on the bandwagon" phase of razor or brush collecting.

Now I spend my time answering questions and doling out shaving advice. And posting random articles about vintage and modern stuff that I find interesting, not necessarily shaving related. I've found that digital technology is just a fancy way to replace ingenuity and craftsmanship with something you have to replace every five years and can't fix.

I've been surprised. By slants, anyways. Not all slants are horrible face eaters.

Most didn't leave, they died. Or found other interests. There's a few of us in here for the long haul. A lot of us get involved with other forums and then just settle on one home forum and post there 99% of the time.

I'm a classic example. I'm a member of at least 3 other shaving forums, and about 4 Facebook wet shaving groups. I'll post about once a week elsewhere.

4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

My journey started when 8th grade class pictures were scheduled for the next day. I told my parents and they immediately broke out my father’s unused electric razor. It was a horrible introduction, but did the job. I was gifted a brand new electric razor for Christmas later that year. That was my setup for the next few years.

When I was 18, I was brainwashed by the Gillette ads on TV that a Trac II was the way to go. As my father already abandoned his Super Speed and Fatboy for the new fangled Trac II, I went the same route. I considered buying that Super Speed black handle hanging on the rack in the supermarket. “Hmmm... what’s this one like?” I thought. “Ah, newer is always better”, right? I took the Trac II and didn’t look back. For the better part of 37 years I chased for the ultimate shave with every new Gillette offering until....

2014! I had enough of the rising cartridge prices. Hey, my family bills came first. I had enough of trying to stretch a few more shaves out of cartridges. I had enough and began to think about the old days. I tried an electric again, but found it to be a torture device. Nothing but razor burn. Disposables cut up my face. One day I stumbled upon the VDH at Target and I grabbed that in a heartbeat. Got home, tried it out and loved it! Checked Amazon next and felt like I discovered a new world!

Shortly afterwards, I discovered The Shave Den and was off to the races. Next purchase was an EJ and a Merkur. It took a couple of months before I fell down the rabbit hole, but I fell down fast and deep. I had around 100+ razors at one point (mostly vintage, but a fair amount of new razors). I still have around 30 in the den that I use in rotation. Straights, injectors, SEs, and DEs. 12 brushes and 14 soaps keep them company.

Today I still get a kick out of the den, but will now only pick up consumables as needed. Right now I have too many aftershaves and blades, so I’m good for many years.

If I could go back to 2014, I would tell myself stop with the razors after the EJ and Merkur. On the other hand, I sure did have fun!

5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Made this today. It is where I am.

Jim99, wristwatchb and Primotenore like this.
  6. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Yeah, I've had my share of the slants, and I agree, not all are face eaters. I've had the Hoffritz, Merkur, and Maggard's and prefer the Merkur over the 3 of them. I figure that most others are similar in learning curve and shave. The Hoffritz ate quite a bit of face figuring it out though. What I really want is a Darwin and one of the high end all stainless razors in medium aggression. I doubt they'd surprise me though but I want them still. Those are really the only things left, aside from all the straights ever made (like, all of them ;) ), that I want. And luckily, most straights are expensive enough to keep my enthusiasm curbed/den thinned.

Jim99, jtspartan, PLANofMAN and 2 others like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Where ever I run is where I find myself.

Be the bevel.

8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    That clears it up...:shocked029:

9. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Id say that Im probably a t thee advanced stage, where I know what I like, I know how to use it and I dont feel the need to try new stuff of experiement like I once did.
    I like kamisori style razors, vintage Gillettes, sharp blades, I like the value of boar brushes and I like soaps and aftershaves that have fresh clean scents, sandalwood or asian-inspired scents.

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Open blades clear up many things.

BigMike likes this.