Where is this addiction coming from?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by BeShaved, Jan 30, 2016.

1. BeShaved

BeShaved Well-Known Member

My technique is still raw.
    I even cut myself during my last shave. Pretty deep.

But I am looking forward to my next session. I am eager. I just can't wait for my mustache to grow so I can shave again.

What is this sorcery on DE?
    I never have this excitement while using cartridge razors before.

2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

I understand how you feel. Back when Double Edge razors were common here in the USA, almost everyone hated to use them. I was one of those who disliked DE razors at that time. Now I look forward to each and every shave. And I own many Gillette's. I don't know why, but I too am addicted. But I'm enjoying every minute of it.

3. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I'm in the same boat you are.. With the exception of cutting .. Lol
    Maybe your using to much pressure. Slow your strokes down?

4. BeShaved

Me, too. I am enjoying every minute of it.

AGHisBBS, Robyflexx and Morman Bridge like this.
  5. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Do not worry about your addiction. We ALL have it. That is why we are here. We support each other.

By the way I hear if you stand on your head your mustache will grow faster as the hairs will receive more oxygen from the blood rushing to your head.

6. BeShaved

I was too excited to shave again. And yes, because of it, I used to much pressure.

7. BeShaved

LOL. I will do that later. :D

8. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

Most people are the same way when they have a hobby they love. In your case a hobby they see they'll love.

When we find razors, blades and the other variables we love, we take pride in knowing our quest has paid off.

AGHisBBS, Spyder, Robyflexx and 3 others like this.
  9. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Though I understand people are getting pretty absorbed in shaving, which is quite understandable, for me the process is neither an addiction, a passion nor a hobby.. after more than 45 years, it's really just shaving. I needed to get back to a single blade razor because the face won't handle the carts. But I must admit since the brush and soap were added some twenty or so years ago, I find the process much more interesting than the old days with the can stuff and am getting much better shaves with all the attention to detail...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
    AGHisBBS, Spyder, Robyflexx and 2 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

I get that anticipation feeling when I rub my face. I can't wait for a good 5 o'clock shadow to appear. Some days it's like I want to shave again. If I want to use a straight razor, I restrain from shaving, skip a day just to have a good stubble to mow down.
    Never felt this way using cartridge razors.

AGHisBBS, Spyder, Robyflexx and 6 others like this.
  11. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

I started the DE shaving because i felt the cartridges were just way too expensive ..... ummmmmmm
    Then i start buying DE razors and decide i need a DE89, then i realize i need a slant and a stainless and a few vintage Gilletes ... boar brush and a badger brush and then realize i need a synthetic brush and then i realize i need them all in defferent knot sizes and handles and then i get some shave creams and then decide i need some soaps and then need to try artisan soaps oh and i need aftershave and then decide i need every available fragrance in that line ... oh and i like the Astra SP blades so well but decide i need to order some Feathers some Voskods and some Gillette silver blues
    .... oh and there's another new release razor and look at that fancy chubby

And then my wallet is like .......

:angry021:

Enjoy the addiction !

Jim99, AGHisBBS, Spyder and 5 others like this.
  12. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

2nd way to grow a mustache (taught to me by my father):
    1. Rub the skin with salt
    2. The hairs get thirsty
    3. Put a large glass of beer in front of you
    4. The hairs reach out to get to it
    5. *Very* quickly tie a knot in each hair so it can't retreat.
    BAM! You've got a mustache.

Good luck!

Oh, and I still look forward to my shaves as well! It is fun to attain skills, to use them and feel the results. :)

imGrunt, Herm2502, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  13. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

I like that one!

14. At least this is a healthy addiction for most of us. And for a lot of us it's an obsession to look for new (vintage) razors, different blades, soaps, brushes, before and after stuff, anything else shave related. Once your in, there is no savings money. But again if it's something you enjoy its worth ever penny.

Jim99, AGHisBBS, twhite and 2 others like this.
  15. BeShaved

I just started this quest. I am longing to see where this quest will take me.

You make me want to collect more brushes and soaps and creams.

I am glad I am not the only one that is looking forward to another shaving time.

Jim99, AGHisBBS, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  16. BeShaved

LOL.
    I didn't know mustache love beer that much.

I might develop a complication like you have. I hope I have a deep pocket for it.

So far, I'm loving it. I already set my eyes on things to have. LOL.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2016
  17. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Funny stuff.

BeShaved and macaronus like this.
  18. BeShaved

Yes, it is.

19. aaron.sterud

aaron.sterud Member

I am in the same boat as you, a month after I started DE shaving and 4 razors later, the more I enjoy it. Not its time to start a soap collection

BeShaved likes this.
  20. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

My neighbor thought I was pulling his leg when I told him I took up wet shaving (and collecting) as a hobby. My only regret is I started about 40 years too late. I bemoan daily how many cased Double Rings, King Signiture, Bulldog, Toggles and other great razors I would have hoarded by now.

AGHisBBS, BeShaved and Jim99 like this.