Where to buy boar replacement knots

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by JeffE, Mar 14, 2010.

1. JeffE

JeffE New Member

Does anyone know of a good source for buying boar replacement knots? Yes, I already know about The Golden Nib, but it seems like Tony does not offer very many sizes, and I have a whole bunch of old Rubberset and Dubl Duck handles that I wanted to refinish with boar rather than badger (for authenticity and because boar just plain works better with these handles), but I'm losing hope here. If there's anyone who knows of a good source for these knots, please let me know! Thanks.

2. sol92258

sol92258 I have no earthly idea

Goldennib is the only place I've found thus far, and he's only just recently added boars to the lineup...of course, I say "recently", it's been probably a year or so for the 24mm, and a few months after that the other sizes.

Good luck in your search, if you find any, be sure to let us know!

And welcome to the Den!

3. rudyvey

rudyvey Member

I think I answered your question before on a different forum, but I will chime in here, too.
    TGN is the only known supplier for boar knots right now in the USA. They carry the 24 mm standard boar knot, pretty big, though, just above the plug - could not imagine it to fit in any of the old handles. Tony also has some UK boar knots, they are smaller than the standard. You could whittle down a knot to size of your handle. Or, just fit a nice badger knot in the old handles and buy some boar brushes, they are pretty cheap. Alternatively, contact one of the Chinese suppliers and have them make you the knots in your needed size. They may make you a few for testing purposes and even sell them to you cheaply (just the shipping kills the good price), hoping that you will order their standard number of knots in the future - sometimes as low as 250 knots only.

I would also check the market for smallish boar brushes, then remove the knot and fit in your handle.