Which brush?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by rickboone, Aug 18, 2009.

1. rickboone

rickboone Member

Both badger, one is Edwin Jagger travel brush over at Crabtree and Evelyn...the other is a Vulfix for about $20. CE is $35 before discounts.

2. Teiste

Teiste New Member

What kind of hair grade are each one?pure,best,super?.Also,are you a hard soap user or cream user,facelathering or bowl lathering? I will tell you go for boar instead:D

3. rickboone

rickboone Member

I don't know what I am. I'm just getting started. Have soap in mug and creams I lather in bowl. Haven't done face lathering. It's too much fun to lather in the bowl. Or cup.

I've mostly been loading with soap then going to a dallop of cream in the bowl. Why? That's what the videos have shown me to do. Seems to work and it's fun. Sometimes, I just use the soap. That does take longer. I have only a handmade soap that is probably not very good honestly.

I had a boar brush, but the knot fell out and I threw it away. :happy102 Sorry this face was irrelevant, it just cracked me up.

I have a badger, pure, from AOS free kit. I can totally tell the difference between that and my "economical" or uhh POS boar I had.

Dang, I am rambling.

I'm getting a new boar. I will be getting a Vulfix I think. Maybe for some special gift the lady will get me a silvertip uhh...S something Row....??? Servile Row? Again...I'm learning.

4. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Get a Semogue 1305 for around $17 shipped....Check out The Vintage Scent Co... (although you'll have to wait until after August 31, Leon's got the shop closed until then...)

5. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Saville Row.We are all still learning.Follow Truckmans advice and get a quality boar brush like the Semogue 1305 and with the money that you safe from getting an expensive badger brush spend it on soaps,creams and razors.:D

6. rickboone

rickboone Member

Got a website?

7. rickboone

rickboone Member

I'm going to take a peek at that razor. Is not the brush what makes the lather though? Or is that a misconception? I'm sure the majority is technique. Seasoned vets of wetshaving could make a decent lather with dishsoap and chicken feathers.

I'm going to peek this out. Thanks everyone!

8. Teiste

Teiste New Member

Yes you are right,its the brush that makes the lather with a right tecnique(easy to learn)The misconception its to think that a super expensive badger brush is better than boar.Boar brushes are great,better than any badger with hard soaps and theyre like a half or even more the price of a regular best/super badger hair type brush.

9. freddy88

freddy88 Member

10. rickboone

rickboone Member

They're out of it. Do you know if they ship to US?

11. freddy88

freddy88 Member

Yes and the shipping is quite good. I have dealt with Leon twice and both times have been extremely pleased. He is a member here at TSD, as well.

12. rickboone

rickboone Member

Thanks again, I'll have to mark my calendar to get it when he gets back from vacation.

13. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The entire boar vs. badger thing being fairly new I think we do get some extremes. That said, a good quality boar brush is just as good as the brushes you mentioned. I have the C&E Best Badger you're looking at and it's a very good brush. I also have an Omega and Vulfix boar which together cost less than the one C&E brush. I enjoy all three brushes and would say you're better off starting with a good boar brush as it is at least as good as an entry level boar. Depending on what you like and don't like about the brush you might consider badger in the future. But, better to make a $10-20 mistake with a boar than a $30-$100+ dollar mistake on a badger.

14. rickboone

rickboone Member

As far as Boars:

Semogue

Omega

Boreal ??

15. Teiste

Teiste New Member

And Vulfix too.

16. fozz77

fozz77 New Member

My choice is;

Semogue

Semogue & ....Semogue :D

I am sure the Omega's & others are good too.

17. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

My one and only brush is a C&E pure badger. In terms of grade, that's a step down from the Best Badger. I love it and I highly recommend it.

Before this brush I owned a Vulfix boar. It was a shedder. I could get decent lathers with it, but nowhere near as good as what I can get now and my technique hasn't changed much. The brush made the difference in this case.

I think my brush is now marketed as a travel brush. It may be the very brush you were looking at buying. In any case, the C&E pure badger brush works for me. It's the only brush I own and I am quite happy with it.

18. Sailor

Sailor New Member

I ordered the C&E and it should be arriving soon. Im way too excited about it. I was just gonna say I used this coupon I found online and got the brush and a cream for $30.

STRCLS89

If you google C&E coupons they also have one for free shipping I found that after I ordered though.

19. rickboone

rickboone Member

If I could find a place that had them in stock, I'd order one right now. But, Leon is out until September and I cannot find anywhere else to get them.

20. rickboone

rickboone Member

For as elite ad C&E is, their website isn't easy to navigate. The only worthwhile brush I seen there was a travel brush. I like it, I need it, but want a bigger one. Which one did you get? Got a link?