Which DE Razor Gave You The Closest Shave On Your First Pass ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by well-groomed, Feb 17, 2019.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

With the grain from under my eyes to my collar bone with 3 very slight touch ups in 2-3 places(. And many times I skip the touch up.(my .02).

Last edited: May 24, 2021
    gorgo2 likes this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

i would say my #58 aristocrat jr.good blade exposure(just under a red tip)_good weight..

MR41 likes this.
  3. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

As in face mapping.
    I use three passes:
    WTG
    ATG
    XTG

gorgo2 and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've been doing a one and done for the past two or three years. Nearly any razor I own gives me a very close shave ..... even my Techs.

5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I tried the one pass shave for a while. Most of my razors got me just about there, but the left over lather annoyed me.

Adding a little clean up or a partial second pass finishes the soap and yields results that allow me to skip a day and not look scruffy at work.

Just about any razor will get you there if you put the time in to learn to use it well.

Troy M, ischiapp, gorgo2 and 3 others like this.
  6. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I think the OP just wanted to know which razor gave us the best results during our 1st pass. Lol whether we do only 1 or 10 passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  7. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

No matter what razor is used, I've found the secret to getting BBS or at least DFS in one pass (for me, that means a single application of lather) is blade buffing vs longer strokes. Some call it cheating but it ain't. The results speak for themselves. Try it and you'll see.

Enrico and ischiapp like this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

There's a discussion elsewhere about how razor geometry DOES make a difference in terms of the use of longer/shorter strokes and the speed of those strokes. Generally I do prefer (more rigid) razors that lend themselves to quick shorter strokes.

Pretty much guaranteed that any discussion like this will devolve into a quien es mas macho thing about one's shaving prowess rather than answering the OP question.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Well technique vs design never was an all or nothing proposition anyways except maybe with nonguarded razors like shavettes and straights. Blade design i.e. it's edge is a design factor that even technique can't fix when it is thoroughly dull.

Another factor is how many days between shaves. Not all razors will take down thick growth the same. There are some razors no matter how much pressure, angle, etc. you try will just not take down heavy growth period like a Gillette blue tip razor. Analogy if razors are like string trimmers some are like string trimmer attachments some like brush cutters. The only time you might get both is if you have an adjustable like having interchangable string trimmer attachments.

jmudrick and Enrico like this.