Which is the cheapest option overtime?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by FurryFan93, Sep 4, 2022.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Try a Wee Scot.

Ron R and brit like this.
  2. cost of shaving just went up... few years ago i purchased 100 packs of astra superior platinum for 10.99 each. NOw west coast wants 19.99 for a 100 count box.. yikes...

but they last me 8 shaves in my fatboy.. and if i keep s having every 2nd or 3rd day... thats about 20 blades a year.. so i have roughly 12 years of astra left..

plus calculate that my treet black beauties last so long... that i have perhaps 20 years left of them... and toss in the 100 pack of the treet classic for perhaps aother 3 years shaving...

180 personna blades that should last me 4 shaves a pop for 4 years...

plus a hundred gillette 7 oclock greens that should give me 2 years of shaving...

and about 90 lord premium for another 2 years... or roughly 42 years of shaving at about a cost of 140$ total cost..

and consider that the cheapest schick cartridge costs 2 dollars plus tax each... and i get at best 2 shaves from one... shaving every day.. im kind of shaving for free blade wise.

brit likes this.
  3. brit

brit in a box

i quit smoking almost a year ago,and only have a few beers once every 2 weeks now..i still buy the odd razor and soap/100 pack of blades/brush etc.not becase i need them but because i enjoy them..i shave daily,so 2 blades a week.so a 100 pack of blades a year.
    .. so approx 3500 blades is 35 years..i will thankfully plug along until i can't..;):eatdrink047:

Ron R and chazt like this.
  4. FurryFan93

FurryFan93 Member

That's mostly because P&G international can't get the blades out of russia no more. I heard this from Razor Emporium.. They said that since this happened P&G is winding down their factory in Russia.

5. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that you say that because for me treat black beauty only last one or two shaves at best . But yeah that is a shame because Gillette blades made in Russia are the top of the Wetshaving community. Let's remember now it has nothing to do with Russia that is just where they are produced we should bring the factories back to America!!!! USA

Sent from my T601DL using Tapatalk

Ron R likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Then they would probably double in price.

gorgo2 and chazt like this.
  7. FurryFan93

FurryFan93 Member

Sadly this would be the case.. They would probably be even more expensive than feather blades..
    Knowing P&G they'd probably make 100 blades be like $100 if made in the USA.......

brit and DaltonGang like this.
  8. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Made in USA blades are reasonably priced if you buy Personna reds, they are still made in USA. The lab blues are pricier but are used for hospitals and are cleaned better than the blades we buy from my understanding.
    Labor is a factor in price but make enough of them the price is still competitive I believe.
    I buy Gem Personna blades that are made in USA from Connaught shaving UK and are sent by mail to Northern Canada for around $23 Canadian or $17 US for 100 pcs.
    Personna injector blades made in USA from Connaught are better priced than anywhere else and work great IMO. It depends on the marketing agreements they signed for different Countries I believe.
    They ship to UK and then ship back to USA and still beat American retailers a lot of the times, go figure that one out! Not complaining at all!

9. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

Ron, just to clarify, I believe you meant that Personna Med Preps are made in the U.S. These are the blades that say For Hospital Use. Personna Lab Blues are also still made in the U.S. They don’t receive the extra cleaning step associated with the Med Preps. The blades known as Personna Reds (Platinum Chrome ) were made in Israel and are now made in Germany. All top notch blades, imo.

Ron R likes this.
  10. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Personna US made blades are priced pretty competitively. Even though American labor is more expensive, I don't think there's that much labor involved in blade making. It's almost all done by machines. P&G of course would like to raise the price as much as the market will bear but that's all down to making profits, not the cost of production.

Ron R likes this.