Which Movies had scenes where Actors used straight/safety razors ?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by SSLSTudio..., Mar 9, 2007.

1. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Caught an old Jimmy Stewart Western on AMC the other night, "Broken Arrow" in one scene Jimmy Stewart is shaving in the woods next to a lake with a mirror hung up on a tree. The razor was of course a straight. His love interest, a squaw watches him from a distance. With an alarmed look on her face she approaches Jimmy Stewart. He proceeds to explain that white men have more facial hair than Indian men, and this is how we remove it. The squaw asks "Does it hurt?". Jimmy Stewart replies in the negative. To which she replies "Oh, I thought you were skinning yourself." Which of course pretty aptly describes many of our early straight shaving efforts (including my own) :happy102

2. trainman

trainman New Member

Kirk Douglas in Gunfight at the OK Corral,he uses a straight very quickly then stands in front of a what looks like a display stand thats full of shaving mugs most of which have a brush in them.

3. mike72

mike72 Member

in the movie phenomenon kyra sedgwick shaves john travolta with a de, but they use a can of goo.

4. usna92

usna92 New Member

A few months ago, I caught "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner"; Katherine Hepburn, Spencer Tracy, Sidney Poitier... Great movie. There's a scene where Spencer Tracy is lathering up with a brush and shaving with a DE. Of course, this movie was made in 1967 (Tracy's last movie), so it's not exactly a 'period piece'.

I like the shaving scene in "Hancock" where Will Smith has to use his own fingernails to shave with, since no razor can cut his stubble.

5. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

Saw one just last night "Bridge on the River Kwai" William Holden an American POW in Ceylon (Sri Lanka for you youngins) during WWII, there he was filthy dirty wearing a ragged pair of shorts and sure enough standing in front of a portable mirror with soap applied to his face rockin a str8. Having extensively studied debriefs from thousands of POWs in various wars I can tell you this was a whole bunch of Hollywood Hooey, but still good to see Holden being the dapper well groomed gentleman even in such austere conditions.

6. southernscribbler

southernscribbler Well-Known Member

This one is not a movie, but last night I saw a new Jim Beam commercial. It started off with a guy in a barbers chair getting a str8 shave. Damn, what a great combo, Beam and a str8 shave (with someone that knows how, doing it for you).

7. KiltedShaver

KiltedShaver Member

Two that come to mind off the top of my head:

Mr Blandings Builds His Dreamhouse: Cary Grant (Mr. Blandings) has a funny scene in the front of the movie shaving with a Schick Injector.

Hunt for Red October: Alec Baldwin (Jack Ryan) shaves with canned goo and a disposable bic :eek: while musing to himself "How are they going to get them off a nuclear submarine..."

Aaron

8. MN_Nick

MN_Nick Member

It's been while since I've seen this movie but I seem to remember Jason Isaac's character shaving with a straight in The Patriot. If I remember correctly he was using a tiny mirror and what I imagine to be icy cold river water.

9. usna92

usna92 New Member

I was watching Peter Pan this weekend with my daughter and my friends' kids. I had forgotten about the scene where Mr. Smee had Captain Hook kicking back in a chair with a hot towel on his face. Then when Smee turned around to create a (really nice) lather in a cup, a seagull landed on the towel thinking it was a nest. Then Smee proceeds to lather the bird's butt and very deftly shave it with what had to be at least an 8/8" straight, all the while holding it's tail like it was Hook's nose; you know, using it to stretch the skin and such.

10. freebird

freebird Active Member

caught a few old W.C. Fields movies on TCM the other day, two of which featured Mr Fields shaving with a straight. One is the famous scene in which he's in a public restroom, on a train when it goes through a tunnel. When the train comes out the other side he's shaving the other guys face. The other had him trying to shave while his daughter is putting on make-up. He winds up hanging a mirror from a string and following it around in circles whilst shaving.

There is also an episode of the Munsters where Herman is shaving with a huge straight razor.

[​IMG]

11. goshawk

goshawk Well-Known Member

Maclean Stevenson used a straight several times on the TV series MASH, and quite evidently knew what he was doing; Henry Morgan, on the same show, used one once and just as evidently didn't.

My favourite straight scene in movies is the one in Mississippi Burning where Gene Hackman takes the razor from the barber and proceeds to intimidate the guy in the barber's chair by shaving him. At one point he looks up, gestures toward the barber, says "They make it look so easy" and gives that weird little Gene Hackman smile - absolutely chilling!

goshawk

12. nunogrl

nunogrl Member

it's a cartoon!!
    "Goofy: No Smoking"
    He uses a straight razor at 2:02

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmjjHkxTItE[/youtube]

13. Rexall

Rexall New Member

Key Largo

In this Humphrey Bogart movie, Edward G Robinson as the bad guy gets a shave by one of his gang. He applied a white cream by hand (no brush - they were on the run and in middle of a hurricane) (hey the movie was in black and white) that looked a lot like it came from a jar of C+E Almond Oil Shave Cream, and got this smooth shave with a str8.

14. nunogrl

nunogrl Member

On a Denim advertisement

at 0:14 -0:15
    is like a flash .. but one's can notice the straight razor :D

BTW.. It's one's of the best Ads.. I remember this from watching on TV some years ago .. and still was engraved :D there's no talk .. only universal body expression!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NexCcpZRVEM&feature=related[/youtube]

15. TiberiuR

TiberiuR Member

A few

Lawrance of Arabia (Peter O'Toole) shaved with a straight and the arab buddy said it was a waste of water :happy102. I think I would had also shaved in the desert:D. Screw the drinking water. I could use a good shave!

In Band Of Brothers(ww2 series) Captain Winters shaved with a safety razor, while being in the Bulge. It was winter so he had to smash some ice off the top of the freezing bucket of water. And he loaded up with a brush. Now that's way ahead Proraso can offer.All you need is war, winter and some cream on face. It can't be more :freezing than that!
    I think captain Winters sure lived up to his name!

16. Stroker

Stroker Well-Known Member

Jason Robards shaved in "Once upon a time in the West"
    I don't know how he could keep his mind on shaving with claudia cardinellie around.

17. I just watched "Ironman" again last PM.
    In the scene where Tony Stark first wakes up in the cave at the beginning of the movie,the foreign guy who helps him build the suit is shaving with a DE.

It only shows for a split second, but its definitely a DE.

Also, if you haven't seen it, its a great movie. :)

18. 1OldGI

1OldGI New Member

In African Queen, Humphrey Bogart is shown shaving with a straight

19. Stone

Stone New Member

I tried to read through most of the list and didn't see these.

"The American Astronaut" (a great indie film) has a good safety razor shaving scene at the beginning. The guy shaves dry. Check it out if you can find it.

"Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid" features Steve Martin shaving his tongue with a safety razor... “Let’s go out dancing! You put on your black dress, and I’ll go shave my tongue.”

20. Stone

Stone New Member

Also, there's the classic Popeye film "A Clean Shaven Man" (1936) where Popeye and Bluto hack each other up with straight razors.