Which one first? A restoration experiment

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Misphit, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

sometimes with razor purchases I get brushes along with them and now I have quite a few. I am thinking about esploring the restoration aspect. My gut tells me to start with the VDH brushes since I have so many, but I am wondering if one of the vintages would be a better choice. Ideas?

IMG_20150101_184835_029.jpg IMG_20150101_184913_881.jpg IMG_20150101_184923_802.jpg

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I've found it takes a good bit of time to end up with a first rate restoration. Given that I would pick a handle that you really like the looks for the first one. You'll enjoy the finished product even more that way.

Misphit likes this.
  3. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

My suggestion would be to start with one that you wouldn't be too upset abut if you booger it up as a way to get a little experience before tackling one of the better ones.

Hodge, 178-bplatoon, Jostalli and 5 others like this.
  4. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Hmm, sounds like both sides of my brain have learned to type under aliases. It is the same exact argument I have been having with myself. :happy102:

5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Luckily you have several brushes that are the same or at least very similar. That should help if one gets screwed up. I am making the assumption that you have no emotional value in a particular brush.

Misphit likes this.
  6. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Not really, if they weren't add ons, I wouldn't have acquired them. I love the ones that people have made from scratch. But then again GDCarringtons restores make me drool as well.

GDCarrington likes this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

He is a master for sure.

Misphit and GDCarrington like this.
  8. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I'd probably want to do one of the longer handled ones. I've only got one with a long handle and after getting it I began to wish the rest of my brushes had longer handles also. I don't know why but it kind of bugs me to not be able to whip up a good lather without having my fingers down in it and then having the handle be slippery.
    You should probably listen to Tom though. He sounds like the voice of wisdom from experience.

Misphit likes this.
  9. Bristle Me

Bristle Me Insufficient

I'm with Tom

VDH.

It's not that they are throw away brushes, but if you did happen to have an :signs131: moment,

a VDH brush would be relatively easy to replace. I've broken two VDH handles in re-knot attempts already.
    Granted, I'm something of a ham-handed gorilla to start with, but it can happen to anyone.

Misphit likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well first of all, you need to look at what you have and make some decisions on how to approach the work.

Find out what brushes have obvious cracking and breaks and clean off all the handles of detritus. I saw at least one with a crack in the top photo. You can use those broken or semi-broken ones to practice knot removal and drilling.

A VDH is a good start but remember they tend to be hardened rubber with either soft glue that gums up Dremel bits or hard glue (plaster like) that is tough to drill through.

When you have found out from a broken unit and VDH how well you perform, you can determine whether you want to do more or seek more advice.

HoosierTrooper and Misphit like this.
  11. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

+1

Misphit likes this.
  12. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Throw a puck of soap at them with your eyes closed and see which one you hit! There's your brush! :D

13. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Well, everyone has given me something to think about, especially Gary. I had considered the VDH brushes first since there are three. Now I just have to ponder. All of the ideas are great, I just don'y have a puck of soap to throw. LOL

GDCarrington likes this.