Which one you would pick

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by shavingisfun, Jan 29, 2022.

1. shavingisfun

shavingisfun New Member

Simpsons Chubby 3 Manchurian Badger faux Ivory
    Approximate brush specifications:
    Overall brush height: 102mm
    Handle height: 48mm
    Loft: 54mm
    Knot diameter: 28.5mm

Simpsons Chubby Super Badger Shaving Brush (Chubby CH3 Super)
    Overall brush height - 102mm
    Handle height - 48mm
    Knot loft - 54mm
    Knot diameter - 29mm
    Weight - 108g

Both same price

Ijustmissedthe50s and brit like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sorry, but neither. My prefered knot size is 22 +/- 2.
    I know you mentioned you're new to this. Welcome! Have you ever tried a knot this size? If you have, and you like it, more power to ya. My suggestion is to start smaller, say 24, and less expensive.

But that's me.
    It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

brit likes this.
  3. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The Chubby 3 is a huge and dense brush. I would look at that as a special occasion brush more than just an every day driver.

I had the Chubby 2 in Best that I really enjoyed, but it was larger than I preferred and passed it along.

brit likes this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i prefer a 24mm best badger.so not sure.:eatdrink047:

5. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

To me at least, having a brush with a 29mm knot is like having a Ford F450 as a daily driver! A nice conversation piece but not really that practical for getting around town.

I just can't imagine ever needing more lather than a 24mm or even a 22mm knot is capable of producing. I mean if you really want to collect every model Simpson makes then that's fine and good luck to you, but for an everyday brush something much smaller is more practical, and wastes much less soap.

I have a bunch of brushes in various sizes - badger, synthetic, boar, horse - and while I rotate them all a little I mostly find myself grabbing a humble Simpson 46 in best badger. It's only 20mm but it produces a mountain of lather.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
    PanChango likes this.
  6. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Both are great brushes. Good advice here but go with the one you want. Please don't find yourself asking yourself in six months - Why didn't I get the 28/29mm knot? You are the one that is going to be using it. Just a thought.