which razor I should to buy? Merkur 34C\Parker Variant\Merkur Progress

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by idan, Feb 3, 2019.

?

which razor I should to buy? Merkur 34C\Parker Variant\Merkur Progress

1. Merkur 34C

2. Parker Variant

3. Merkur Progress

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Was that supposed to be helpful? I think you missed the mark.

DesertTime, brit and feeltheburn like this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Seems like 99% of the time folks find out that it is technique not tools, and won't actually admit it.
    Hence, they sign up, don't get the answer they want, or the one that is the most expedient. They want to do what they want, no matter what the truth happens to be .

Hembree likes this.
  3. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

Technique is important and in the beginning it is probably the most difficult variable to control. So, I'm not saying technique isn't important. It is. Technique is not the only thing that matters though. I have pretty good technique and with stuff that works for me I can get a close comfortable shave every single day. There are soaps I can't get a good shave with though. There are blades I can't get a good shave with too. To say that the problem is always you is not necessarily true in shaving. I'll agree in OP's case, the problem is probably not in his razor. He's got a good one that should work fine. It may help him a great deal to try some different blades or soaps/creams though. I know you disagree and that's fine but being outspoken on your viewpoint doesn't make you right. You've found what works for you and that's great. Just be careful assuming that what works for you works for everyone.

Hembree and brit like this.
  4. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Fair enough. There is enough that we agree on not to be taken aback by pretty things.

Hembree likes this.
  5. brit

brit in a box

great post here.glad everyone agrees that a shave ia a shave and what they like is the best for them..one just has to learn the bicycle they have chosen to ride..gives one a baseline from which they can gauge other methods. de 89 is a great razor, so is a 34c..both great to learn on and/or use exclusively..i chose vintage gillette for more reasons than just shaving..

Hembree and Frijolero like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Trying new stuff will help nothing until he learns how to use it. Period. If you have blades that will not work.(assuming they are sharp) that is completely a technique issue. There is not enough difference in blades to matter...that is not a YMMV thing. Saying a newer shaver..or a shaver having issues..needs to try different equipment..again assuming the equipment is working right..is silly. All that will lead to is having the same results with different equipment. Once solid technique is learned any razor any blade and any other product that functions properly will give great shaves.

7. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

I agree completely, but I recently had the opportunity to shave with a vintage pre-war Tech that had been replated in gold to a thickness of 3 microns. Now, the pre-wars that I happen to own have approximately half that thickness at 1.5 microns thick. As we all know, the pre-war Techs are severely limited in rigidity vs the much superior post-war variants. The extra thick 3 micron plating really tamed the blade chatter, the difference was startling to say the least with auditory feedback confirming what my ATG results were about to reveal. Seriously considering having my three dozen pre-war Techs (and one backup) all replated in 24ct Gold. BBS awaits.

brit, Leclec13 and Hembree like this.
  8. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Wow, don't know what came over me there. I've been drinking Proraso Splash on the rocks all night and I think it's time to shut 'er down. You'd think I'd remember that saying from the twelve step meeting. Ya know, "One's not enough and three's too many". Or something like that.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Doing better then me. I am working tonight!

Hembree likes this.
  10. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

Merkur 34... because I have one. It’s not adjustable based on classic design. I’m not a huge fan of adjustables.

Technique is king!

Comfort FIRST, Close shave second.

Get your basic skills down first then move on

Get a better soap or cream. Try a known classic Arko, poraso, cella

Nail down better preshave and post shave routine

+1 on the 30 day focus

While not OP original query, I suggest a vintage Gillette super speed, or tech

Get nicer toys later. After first 30 days you may desire something else , maybe more appropriate. Whatever it is you will enjoy it exponentially more because you have built a strong basic skill set on which to build.

Hembree likes this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    This thread is interesting but it is also interesting that the OP has not been seen since the original post. This same OP posted the same thread on TSN and is also unresponsive. My sense is we are giving good advice to someone who isn't interested nor doesn't wish to listen. I am moving on.

12. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

brit likes this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Indeed it is.

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

:transport022:

15. brit

brit in a box

i have heard that about prewars but not experienced it,i use the british flat bottoms the most as they have a thicker post war like baseplate and better plating.

Frijolero likes this.