Which scent does your partner like best

Discussion in 'Scents' started by 8thsinner, Sep 8, 2010.

1. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

NONE! Depressingly, there is no scent that my wife likes. There are those she finds less offensive than others. Sometimes, she will comment that something is "not too bad" or even "Nice." The next time I wear it, she says the smell makes her gag. It is hard. I try to keep my distance until it disappates. Most of my aftershaves are short lasting, and I wear no cologne. :(

2. Jaeger

Jaeger Member

:happy102

My partner loves "Joop!", so I wear it for her - but it's potent stuff. One maybe two squirts - definitely no more. :eek: Too synthetic for my taste...

"Joop! Jump" is worth trying; it still lasts for ages, but is less in-your-face than the original: more vanilla, less sledgehammer. :D

She also likes "The One For Men" by D&G, but I think the lid is heavier that the fragrance... It's similar to "Intimately Beckham" - designed by a focus group?

My favourites are: "Bulgari pour Homme", "Bulgari pour Homme Soir", and "Bulgari Aqua pour Homme"; very nice.

I also like Crabtree & Evelyn "Nomad" and "West Indian Lime" as daily fragrances. "Sienna" is quite good, though some colleagues describe it as "soap"... I also tried "Sandalwood", but unlike other sandalwood fragrances, it vanished within minutes. Very disappointing! (Possibly incompatible skin chemistry?)

3. geneaut

geneaut Member

Tea tree done right smells wonderful. I can definitely see it paired with patchouli. Maybe a dash of mint as well.

I would also recommend checking out:
    http://www.rainbowmeadow.com/infocenter/calc_eoblend/blendselect.php

A great place to see some EO blends.

4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

M&L FL H2O.

5. olblueyez

olblueyez New Member

Tea Tree and Bergamont sound nice. Patchoulli doesn't smell very nice on its own but makes a nice add in for combination you already have.

One that I really love that I think you will appreciate is Sandalwood by Taylor of Old Bond. It's a complex Sandalwood and it is 27 bucks a bottle for the Cologne or 25 for the AS. It smells like a super nice Japanese sandalwood incense. The kind of stuff someone like Phil Spector or Ringo Star would have used back in the 60's. Not super sweet or artifical smelling like most of the garbage floating around today.

6. Jaeger

Jaeger Member

Thanks Bluey - I'll have to track some down. I love sandalwood, but haven't found a good one yet.

Many years ago I tried The Body Shop's Sandalwood; the sampler was great, but the one I bought smelled more like cherry. :confused:

Crabtree & Evelyn's "Sandalwood" smelt good - but the scent disappeared within ten minutes?! :eek: (Nomad, Sienna and West Indian Lime are all good, though.)

7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Bulgari Black for the goth. Some say it starts off with a rubber smell, then fades into hints of vanilla. It's a unisex scent, so you both can wear it.

On me I don't notice any rubber smell, only a faint pepperish smell that mellows into a musky coffeeish smell. scent is not strong or overpowering yet lasts for 11 hours or more! The GF loves it on me. (TIP: for clubbing, add some on the back of your ears, that way she gets a whiff every time she talks to you :whacky025 The downside, you might attract more than just the GF.)

On her the scent is a light flowery smell that mellows into a strong vanilla scent with hints of coffee and latex. lasts for 8-9 hours on her. Smells awesome.

8. 8thsinner

8thsinner New Member

Definately sounds like one I have to check out, thanks PLANofMAN

9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Let me know what you think of it when you sample it next.

10. Jaeger

Jaeger Member

Sounds weird - and intriguing at the same time. I'm a big fan of Bulgari scents (Pour Homme, Pour Homme Noir, Aqua Pour Homme) so another one wouldn't go astray. :D I can understand how Lapsang Souchong tea could be mistaken for burning rubber; once you get past the initial blast, there's a lot of subtlety to keep you intrigued. (The same can be said of washed rind cheese - it stinks like old socks, but the taste is completely different.)

11. Birnando

Birnando New Member

My wife has Domenica Caraceni 1913 as her absolute favorite!
    Penhaligon's Endymion is also received well.

12. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Pour un Homme by Caron, Francois Charles by Rance and Le Vainqueur by Rance are what I wear at work. The ladies like them and get a little dreamy eyed :whacky011 all three of those are natural fragrances and Le Vainqueur goes especially well with Trumper's extract of Limes shaving cream. mmmmm...

13. otherstar

otherstar Rodney Dangerfield of TSD

My wife likes Polo, Drakkar Noir, and Pinaud Clubman.

14. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I slapped on some Booster Polar Ice after my shave today, and I got a big kiss. Not from my wife or my daughter however,--from my dog! :rofl

Mechguy likes this.
  15. 8thsinner

8thsinner New Member

LOL
    I still haven't gotten around to the bulgari black even...
    I will do soon.

16. Hairy Alaskan

Hairy Alaskan eww da toilet

I just bought 4 bottles of Mennen Skin Bracer Cooling Blue aftershave through OTC Wholesale as it is one of my favorites. Fortunately my wife really likes it.

17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Was getting low on bvlgari black, but found some more at "Ross Dress for Less" today for $26 :happy093

18. Dulouz

Dulouz Active Member

The only two that my wife has really mentioned are the Shea Moisture Tee Tree splash and a Seamoss oil that I got from brambleberry.com. There are others that she thinks are ok (Florida Water, AV Ice Sport), but I think she just puts up with the rest (Old Spice).

19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Oh, here is another scent that my wife likes on me--Old Spice cologne. (The Shulton version)

20. ltlsuz

ltlsuz Member

My husband only will use Eucalyptus E.O. - Loves it. When he's on the rode, for work, I have to send it to him.