Which Shavette did you use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bama Samurai, Feb 6, 2018.

1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup it does. But that is not an issue with me. I just care if it gives a good shave....it did.

battle.munky and Keithmax like this.
  2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Same with me, I didn't mean to sound critical. I do want to get a Parker or have some scales made for my Magic though.

3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Did not sound critical at all. I have a Parker SRX. Veddy nice! Let me know if you would like to borrow it for a bit.

battle.munky likes this.
  4. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

So many Shavette's , I am looking to buy a Shavette. I want to buy a good one that will last me a good long time, not a cheap one to try it out. do you guys have any recommendations as to what to buy. I am not proficient but I do shave from time to time with a straight and usually get very good results. I know SR and Shavette's are a bit different to use that's why I'm asking here. Thanks in advanced

Keithmax likes this.
  5. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It depends upon if you want a DE based shavette or one the uses the Feather Pro blades.

For DE based the Parker SRX is a great deal. If you want to go the Feather Pro blade route then either a CJB or Feather DX. I did not like the Feather SS because it has a lip by the edge, some people like but I did not. The Feather DX and CJB shave more like a near wedge straight than the Parker SRC or Feather SS. I have not tried the Kai shavettes so I can not comment.

6. BearCWY

Thanks for the advice, I will look up these razors. I'm a little hesitant about feather because of my experience with there DE blades

Keithmax likes this.
  7. BearCWY

What do you think of the Dovo Shavette? I like the options of using DE blades or the longer blades.

Keithmax likes this.
  8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I almost just bought a Parker SRX but the reviews and pics cast it in a really poor light. Is it that bad?

Keithmax likes this.
  9. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

Feather SS loaded with Schick Proline
    Esbjerg cardamom
    30mm synthetic
    Becker scuttle
    Dickinson witch hazel
    Pinaud clubman

MR41 and Keithmax like this.
  10. BearCWY

Well I took a risk and got the Dovo Shavette with Olive wood scales. It just appeared to me as a good compromise, I could use DE blades and the longer Dovo blades. Once I get it (ordered off eBay) I try it out and report.

11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have one and found it be very light, so hard to control. I hope the olive wood scales remove the problem.

Most of us on TSD who have the Parker SRX like. I think it is a great value and the best 1/2 DE blade shavette I have tried.

12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Easily the best DE style shavette I’ve tried, and the only one I still use. It has some heft to it, which I prefer.

I would say that on TSD, there must be four others I can think of, whose opinions I trust as experience straight and shavette users, who rate it rather highly.

Keithmax likes this.
  13. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

The SE blades bear no resemblance other than being sharp. There are also a bunch of different blades in their lineup, the same with Kai. There must be a dozen different blade choices just between those two brands.

Keithmax and SevenEighth like this.
  14. Deeter

Deeter Well-Known Member

Feather SS
    Schick Proline blade
    Esbjerg cream
    Tuxedo synthetic
    Dickinson witch hazel
    Pinaud clubman

battle.munky and Keithmax like this.
  15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Saturday Straights' Shave
    [​IMG]
    Keeping It Simple Week

Williams
    Ever-Ready 200T Boar
    Luxor Pro Master
    CWR
    Aqua Velva Musk

The Williams Mug Shave Soap face-lathered well with the Ever-Ready 200T Boar brush. I did two passes with the Luxor Pro Master Razor with an Astra SP blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Aqua Velva Musk AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

MR41, Keithmax and DaltonGang like this.
  16. BearCWY

Well the Dovo I got is pretty light and a bit of a challenge to use but it shaved pretty good. I'm thinking about a Parker SR1, any thoughts on this one?

Keithmax likes this.
  17. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

I don’t normally use a shevette but I’m traveling in my camper and don’t have a lot of room for a strop, so today I used my Weck. 2 pass DFS.
    Weck razor
    Fromm blade
    Synthetic brush
    VHD soap in a old glue stick container
    Barbasol brisk aftershave [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. BearCWY

anyone familiar with the Holy Black Shavette?

19. Brickman301

Brickman301 Well-Known Member

Used the Weck again today. 3 pass BBS.
    Barbasol shaving cream
    Fromm blade
    VIBR [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR41, Keithmax and battle.munky like this.
  20. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

IMG_1243.jpg

Puma Inox Frozensteel 6/8 for the Japanese market, I was testing the hone with this razor as it can be finicky. But the edge was a success! Cream was SMN lathered with a TOBS brush and Lucky Tiger finished off a great shave.

Cheers, Steve

MR41, Keithmax and battle.munky like this.