Which Shavette did you use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bama Samurai, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Looking forward to seeing how you like it. I tried the Feather SS but the hump drove me crazy so I sold it. I prefer the CJB/ Feather DX geometry.

MR41 likes this.
  2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

4. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    Saturday Shavette Shave
    [​IMG]

Williams Mug Shave Soap
    Jayaruh #270
    Classic Samurai (First Shave)
    Derby Premium
    CWR
    Tabac AS

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The Williams Mug Shave Soap face lathered well with the Jayaruh #270 brush. This was my first shave with the Classic Samurai shavette. I did two passes with the Classic Samurai shavette with a Derby Premium half blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Tabac AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    madmedic, wristwatchb, Deeter and 3 others like this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

7. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

The coolest thing about this thread is how simple and 'low cost' the shaves look! @MR41 what blades are you using in your Parker & Magic shavettes? Do you bowl lather with those creams?

Super excited to get hold of a shavette when I've finished my Tech/Astra focus!

wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  8. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

Can't get hold of Magic shavettes here in the UK... @Bama Samurai any chance you know of something similar (probably the same razor re-branded) that is available?

Keithmax likes this.
  9. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I’m using Gillette Nacet blades almost exclusively for 1/2 DE shavettes and Feather Pro in the Kamisori style. For me, Nacets are sharp and smooth. Many people say the blade doesn’t matter much in a shavette, but for me, it does. YMMV neighbor:)

Keithmax likes this.
  10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

@jtface - Can you get on the U.S. eBay site? They have the Master Barber Magic shavettes for 11-14USD. The only one on Amazon I see is almost 18USD.

Keithmax likes this.
  11. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

Yeah it's $14 with 100 Derby blades... The shipping is $17 though! For $31 I can get a Parker SRX + about 1000 blades here in the UK!

Keithmax likes this.
  12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I saw several less than $14 and free shipping, but I guess they recalculate shipping for the UK . That being the case...an SRX is a nice shavette:)

wristwatchb, Keithmax and jtface like this.
  13. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

I guess I'll just pull the trigger on one of those when it's time! The Parker SRX is available here (with a box of 100 single edge blades) for like £19!

wristwatchb and Keithmax like this.
  14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

With conversion, that’s about what they cost here. Some people find the weight of them easier to use. Honestly, I don’t think there is anything special about a Magic. Most any plastic and pot metal slide to load will be similar.;)

Keithmax and jtface like this.
  15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

16. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

@MR41 how are you finding the CJB 'Pain Stick'?

17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

It is a little different than the 1/2 DE style, but I think when I get the “tricks and turns “ down it’s gonna be better. It’s easy to “catch “ my self, especially with the feather blades-They’re less forgiving than the Nacets I use in a 1/2 DE. In full disclosure-I tend to chase the baby even when I don’t plan to so I’m sure that adds to my degree of difficulty.

wristwatchb, Keithmax and jtface like this.
  18. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

How long have you been shaving with 'open blades'? Do you ordinarily end with a BBS shave from your Parker SRX in 2 or 3 passes?

Keithmax likes this.
  19. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Not usually , but real close. I’ve been learning shavettes weaved into DEs &SEs for about a year.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    jtface likes this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Anything that looks like the Magic is the same. Just go to any UK Barber supply firm. There are only 3-4 shavette designs out there. Don't worry about the brand, just get whatever "push to load" DE shavette is available to you. They're all the same.

wristwatchb, jtface and Keithmax like this.