Which Synthetic?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by dustmite, Oct 5, 2016.

1. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

@Straight razor dandy, I didn't even think to look at the starter kits on Stirling's site. I'm probably going to go that route. Worst case scenario, if I don't like the brush, I still have a bunch of other goodies, and great soap to boot!

2. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

I have 2 Maggards, a Muhle, and had an Omega. The Maggards brushes are easily my favorites.

Douglas Carey and Terry Williams like this.
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

It is interesting how they package them. They are unequivocally one of the best values out there when considering quality, price, and how long their products last. I recently did the math on their kits, and they "shave" even more off the price for them, making them an unbelievable value.

I would definitely suggest going this route.

Douglas Carey and dustmite like this.
  4. dustmite

I just pulled the trigger on the Budget Starter kit from Stirling. I'm glad I waited, they now have choices on the razor heads. Can't wait until it gets here!

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Which size brush did you choose?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey likes this.
  6. dustmite

@PickledNorthern , I went with the 24x51. I'm not sure if I'd like the really big knots.

Douglas Carey and Demidog like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

Perfect size. The Stirling brushes are quite good. Congrats

Douglas Carey, Demidog and dustmite like this.
  8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I LOVE, and I repeat, I LOVE my Plissoft 26mm Monster!

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

I considered one of those, then I saw a Tuxedo.

Douglas Carey and Demidog like this.
  10. Straight razor dandy

I may frankenbrush a stirling handle with a tuxedo knot.

Im curious what items @dustmite got and how they are working for him?

11. dustmite

1 x Starter Shave Kit - Budget
    (Shave Sample Scent #1: Barbershop, Shave Sample Scent #2: Sandalwood, Shave Sample Scent #3: Ozark Mountain, Aftershave 5ml Sample: Mountain Man, Stainless Handle DE Razor: DE3P6S, Razor Head: Aggressive (+$2.00), Brush Choice: 24x51mm Synthetic (+$1.00))

I placed the order Friday night, so I'm still waiting...

12. Straight razor dandy

That's a great setup with nice variety. You will be pleased.

13. champagneinhand

champagneinhand Well-Known Member

You should like that Barbershop soap a lot. I know I do. I have the Stirling Best Badger but am considering trying a synthetic just for comparison sake. I have an Omega boar and an older English made badger in smaller size which I love, but it's almost 20 years old. Used the FaTip Piccolo this morning for the first time with a Shark super chrome blade and had one of my best shaves since starting with DE to compare them vs Straights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. PickledNorthern

Those are great choices on scents. All of them are favorites of mine. I'm betting you will be happy.

15. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Razorock, Omega and Maggard all make some very nice synthetics. If you arent sure about synthetics, Id get an Omega because theyre cheap. That way, if you dont like, you dont have much skin in the game.

16. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat:eatdrink047:

Douglas Carey likes this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

I pulled the trigger. Skipped over Plisson, went to Tuxedo.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  18. InspiringK

InspiringK Well-Known Member

Well done. That knot looks excellent and the brush works with it.

I bought a gen 2 synthetic knot from Larry at Whipped Dog years ago, knowing that more advancements had already been made at that time, and really liked the knot. I've been itching to buy another one forever now, but even that original knot performed so well that I didn't really feel anxious to replace it (it currently gets more use than all my hundreds of dollars worth of badger and boar brushes combined).

Maybe I'll just have to pull the trigger on one of these Tuxedos.

RyX and Demidog like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

Much respect for Larry at Whipped Dog. I purchased my first shave ready straight & strop from him. I own two of his Sight Unseen razors. That said, I might try his or others synthetics, but I can't imagine anyone making any better than a Tux knot.
    I've seen an informative write up about the Generations of Synthetics. I recall it noted three, maybe a fourth gen as well. The Tuxedo may qualify as the next generation. Synthetic with all the quick drying qualities, but softer of fiber than any previous types. The colors make it distinctive. So much that having a more traditional boar or badger coloration option would be advantageous.

Demidog and PickledNorthern like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

This is a bit outdated now, but Mr. Carrington's evaluation of the synthetics was excellent.

[​IMG]

The Whipped Dog brush referenced as Gen 3 would have been the original Ubersoft. Nathan Clark from Envy Shave advertises the Ubersoft II as a fourth generation of knot, but I don't know if he is referring to "Gen 4", or sort of just a newer brush. I have had both, and much prefer the Ubersoft II, but that is maybe partly because the fan shape lets it splay more naturally.

I too rate the Tuxedo ahead of every synthetic I have tried except the Chubby 2, but I don't know if its excellence should be attributed to the type of fiber or the way the fibers are built into the knot or both. If the Tuxedo is truly a new type of fiber, then it could be the first Gen 5. It is certainly a "different" knot.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016