Which vintage razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jeltz, Apr 2, 2010.

1. Jeltz

Jeltz Well-Known Member

I would like to try a vintage razor, the criteria is as follows:-

- Aggressive, I want it to be my most aggressive razor.
    - Non adjustable.
    - A razor that a normal working man would have been able to afford.

So what should I go for?

2. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

gillette Old Type. They're about as vintage as you can get without delving into rarities (most OTs are from around 1910 or so).

They don't adjust.

There are, or were, a couple for sale in the classifieds for under $10.

Note: OTs do require some attention in lining up the blade. This is not a deal breaker, it's actually pretty easy to do. Search for Gillette Old Type on this board and you'll get a better explanation.

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Interesting criteria, especially the workingman's razor part. I can only think of the Gillette Red Tip, its aggressive , nonadjustable and nothing of the aristocrat about it stylistically. Its also pretty weighty and substantial feeling. My knowledge and use of vintage razors is limited though.

4. ek.310

ek.310 New Member

Red tip is yer best bet BUT I read from some experienced shavers that the super Speeds aernt as close because they have moving parts whereas a gillette 3 piece does not have any moving parts..I would say try a schick injector or a GEM thick black handle which is more aggressive than the fancy handle versions

5. Jeltz

Jeltz Well-Known Member

LOL the idea is to get a feel for the kind of thing that my Grandfather would have used rather than go for the landed gentry's choice of razor.

One grandfather was an electrician while the other was a factory worker, alas neither is still alive to ask.

6. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

It's actually not so easy to be sure what a working man would have been able to afford at a given time. I've got a 1910 single ring (old type) that cost me $9.34. Cheap for an excellent condition vintage razor, but what would have been its price new? How expensive would that have seemed at the time? A five dollar purchase back then might not have been an easy decision.

Schick E and G type injectors shave really well, and meet your other criteria. My G1 is about my favorite.

And there's single edge. Try a Gem 1912, or take a chance on the open comb Micromatic.

Are you only interested in DE razors? Not clear from your post. Also not easy to say what would seem aggressive to you.

All that said, my Gillette short combed New is one of my two favorite DE razors. It's neither super aggressive nor too mild, but you might find it just right. My other favorite DE is a Fat Boy, but you don't want an adjustable.

7. johnmrson

johnmrson Member

If you're happy to spend the money then I'd suggest a 1930's Aristocrat. These are an excellent shaver. I've got 3 and another on the way. They consistently give me excellent shaves above and beyond many other razors. Now my razor herd is currently into 3 figures and this would be in the top 3 for performance and probably number one for sheer beauty.

8. tsmba

tsmba New Member

I agree with the 30's Aristocrat, the Red-Tip. Other fine choices would be a Parat or a New.

9. Jeltz

Jeltz Well-Known Member

OK, thanks for the input gentlemen, I think the 1st one will be a red tip. :)

10. gobeavs

gobeavs Member

excellent choice. you won't be disappointed.