Whodunnit?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by PLAla, Feb 4, 2018.

1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I enjoy whodunnit mysteries. What are some of your favorites?

TV, mini-series, books, let me know which ones you like!

wristwatchb likes this.
  2. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Lately I have been watching The Rockford Files and Columbo on that channel you get by hooking up an antennae to the toaster.

Good fun.

3. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I’ve read a few of them. They were good.
    What I was interested in when I was younger 70s was mystery theater on the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

My dad was a big fan of Perry Mason on TV and I grew up with that, and still tune in on occasion. I think I've read all the Agatha Christie novels and a good bit of Ngaio Marsh. In a more modern vein, I liked the Alex Delaware novels by Jonathon Kellerman. Of course my love of the whodunnit began as a young child reading Encyclopedia Brown and later The Hardy Boys.

5. PLAla

Yeah, the Hardy Boys is a terrific series. Read a lot of them as a kid.

6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

I enjoy MYSTERIES to the MAX!! Some of my favorite authors...

John D. Mac Donald's Travis McGee Series
    Robert B. Parker - Spenser and Jesse Stone Series'
    James Lee Burke - Detective Robicheaux
    John Sandford - Prey Series w Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers
    Lee Child - Jack Reacher Series
    Robert Crais - Elvis Cole PI
    Michael Connelly - Det Harry Bosch
    Vince Flynn - Mitch Rapp Series

7. PLAla

Great list! Thanks, Mark.

8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I stream a lot of that stuff on Internet Archives when I am driving. All the old classic shows are free for the listening.

wristwatchb, PLAla and cliffb599 like this.
  9. cliffb599

Yea I do the same every now and then.

PLAla and PickledNorthern like this.
  10. PickledNorthern

Just looking through my NooK, here are some I haven’t seen mentioned:

Loren Estleman - The Amos Walker Series, and Walter Mosley - EZ Rawlins Series are a couple of good ones that I am re-discovering.

I like Wambaugh stuff, and I read all the Rizzoli and Isles stuff from Tess Gerritson. I also liked reading Elmore Leonard. W.E.B. Griffin wrote a pretty good series about the Philadelphia PD.

The Longmire books are pretty good. Better than the show, I thought.

James Ellroy wrote some pretty good underworld novels. (Black Dahlia, LA Confidential....)

Robert Parker (Spenser) wrote a pretty good series about a couple of gunfighter cowboy sheriff types. The Hitch and Cole Series.

The Sue Grafton alphabet series is pretty good for those quick, burn through them type reads.

wristwatchb and PLAla like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

I have burned through all of the Gunsmokes, Dragnets, This is your FBI, Fort Laramie, and am working on Richard Diamond. I mix in Suspense and Lux Radio Theater.

For comedy, I enjoy Fibber McGee, and The Great Gildersleeve.

I drive too much.

wristwatchb, PLAla and cliffb599 like this.
  12. cliffb599

All around great choices. Will have to check them out.

PLAla and PickledNorthern like this.
  13. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Only ones that come to mind for me is The Hardy Boys books, Young Sherlock Holmes movie and the new Sherlock Holmes movies starring Robert Downey Jr.

14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

My Bride and I enjoy watching reruns of In the Heat of the Night, Matlock, and Murder, She Wrote. We just saw the new Murder on The Orient Express movie.

My Bride is a longtime reader of murder mysteries. I just asked about her favorite authors, and she responded with Martha Grimes, Elizabeth George, Terry Blackstock, Carrol O'Conell, Joanne Fluke, Sue Grafton....and about a dozen others. This is something she has enjoyed all her life.

As a child, she and her brothers wore out several Clue board games from regular use. She would have been a great investigator. :)

Cool thread.

PLAla likes this.
  15. PLAla

Clue is my favorite board game! I’ve seen the movie dozens of time. Love them both.

wristwatchb likes this.
  16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Dan Biggers, who played Dr. Robb the medical investigator on In the Heat of the Night, was a good friend of mine. We went to church together and his sons and I went to school together. Funny guy, who had some great stories about filming the show, as well as several movies he appeared in. Sadly he passed away about 7 years ago.
    IMG_1962.JPG

17. PLAla

Awesome story!!

wristwatchb likes this.
  18. PLAla

Thread revival.....

My wife and I have been listening to the podcast Up and Vanished which follows a cold case of a woman who disappeared in south Georgia in 2005. Fascinating stuff! A well-done podcast by filmmaker Payne Lindsay.

https://upandvanished.com/

19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Lots of what's mentioned, plus MURDER IN COWETA COUNTY, made for TV movie based (sort of) on a real life murder back in the '40s. Andy Griffin plays the most evil SOB you could imagine, more so because of the contrast with Andy Taylor. Johnny Cash is good too. Good movie.

PLAla likes this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

My parents loved Gunsmoke I bet they began watching it before they were my parents!(pre-1957, they were married in late 1955).

PLAla likes this.