Why Does my Boar eat so much product?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by chromedometone, Apr 25, 2015.

1. chromedometone

chromedometone Active Member

Does anyone know why my Omega 10049 Boar brush eats so much product? Loading it the same way I do a badger brush, I get 3 passes out of a badger and only two out of the boar. Hmmm?

2. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Funny, I had the same thought when I started using my SOC boar.
    After it broke in - after 20 uses or so - I noticed it scooped up/ate less soap.

3. chromedometone

I at first though it was the break in, but it is broken in. Bristles have split ends, so have split twice and it gets nice and soft when dry. I especially notice it when I am using Mike's soap, which sucks because Mike's is expensive. Maybe I will just keep going at it. Even days when I don't use the Boar, I will still do a bowl lather just to keep breaking it in. Maybe I just like to much lather on my face. P.S. I am a face latherer.

4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I have the Omega 98 Professional boar brush. Here's a photo of it loaded with Arko this morning and another photo taken after I face-lathered. I also had a ton of lather on my face when I snapped the second photo. I went for three passes, but I easily had enough lather for four. I've been using this brush on and off for about six weeks. I love it.

SOTD_042515a.jpg

SOTD_042515b.jpg

Bristle Me likes this.
  5. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Boar hairs are thick and porous, hence the capability to split and become softer over time. The problem is that the fact that the boar hairs are thick and porous, they tend to capture more product to produce lather. This is the reason why you soak your boar brushes for 5 -10 minutes before use, is to allow the hair to fill with water so that the product will tend to stay on the outside more when making lather. This does not totally alleviate the problem, but it does minimize it. This is why some people do not prefer boar brushes. Just know that you will use more product with them than you would with Badgers or especially Synthetics which uses the least amount of product.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    RaZorBurn123 and Shaver X like this.
  6. chromedometone

Thanks for the explanation. I throw the brush in a mug full of water while I shower to soak it. Honestly, I am not all too worried about the product being used though it is something to consider. I will still use the boar as I like it some mornings, but at least now I know I am not crazy that it does require more product with the boar.

GDCarrington likes this.