Why is a Fatboy so popular

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by tuco99, Jul 13, 2011.

1. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I'll take a long handle Gillette Adjustable Super-109 or a short handle Gillette Adjustable Super-84 over a Gillette 195 Adjustable any day.

Notice I used their official names...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryrBPTF_MFY

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

For me, it's the grip texture and slightly bigger handle. Shave-wise, I can tell very little difference from any other SS except the blue tip.

3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Yup, and yup. Had they made a SA with a handle textured like the Red Tip my razor collection would be like Highlander - only one.

4. dadvest

dadvest Active Member

Using both slim and fb

I am currently alternating between the slim and the fatboy. I have read where several guys like the slim over the fatboy so I wanted to see if I did. The fatboy, for me, edges out the slim by just a little bit. I really think it is the heft of the thing that does it for me. I currently have 2 slims and a black beauty super which are all nice razors so don't get me wrong. I have 1 fatboy and am looking to get another one to put in the line up with the slim and red tip. I think alot of what your seeing though is that the fatboy is the razor of the day. It will change like the seasons I think. Or I hope so I can jump on another good deal for one.

5. spinyeel

spinyeel Member

I gave mine to a friend,as a gift. Too much of a clunker for my liking.:rolleyes:

6. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Fatboy? Slim? Super Adjustable? Toggle? Yep I've tried them all and probably prefer the Fatboy slightly over the Slim. The Super Adjustable I can take or leave and the Toggle I think is overrated.

Of course with all things shaving YMMV!

7. troy

troy Member

I just don't understand a adjustable, if you use one do you really change the setting.

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Yes. Depending upon the sharpness of the blade whether new or used, you can adjust the setting to dial in what you want to start off with and dial up when it begins to wear.
    On some blades I start with a 2 setting and move up to as much as a 5 before throwing the blade away.

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I started on three, worked up to seven. Three was too mild, seven just a tad harsh. I leave it locked at six.

Let's say you get an adjustable and for what ever reason it's locked at three. You shave with it and find three to be too mild. Since it's locked, there's nothing you can do about it. You either suffer with a razor that is too mild for your liking, or you sell it. Now, if that adjustable is truly adjustable, you set it up a notch or two and give it a whirl. Still too mild? Take it up another notch. Find that sweet spot and lock it down. Bottom line, even if you lock it and leave it (like I do), it's locked at the optimum setting to give you a shave you will enjoy and be happy with. It won't be a shave you settle for because that's the best you'll get out of the razor.