Why is my brush shedding so much?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Captain Carl, Mar 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Badger hair doesn't absorb water, at least according to everything I've read. 20 years is about the expected lifespan of a daily use badger brush, so he must have been doing something right.

I do know that badger and boar hair does become brittle if not used frequently, and a good soak with hair conditioner can resurrect an otherwise unuseable knot.

brit likes this.
  2. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

Took your advice, steamed out the knot and everything came out alright. The second brush the knot came out but the top of the handle also separated. I guess this was a 2 part brush. Any idea how to put the brush back together again, thank you.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s and Enrico like this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

For the upper and lower part I'd lightly sand them at their contact points and super glue.

As to the knot ..... I use epoxy.

:eatdrink013:

4. stuartganis

Thank you, one more thing, both brushes are 24mm knots but the knot from one brush will not go into the brush that I posted should I get a 23mm knot or try to bore out the handle? Thanks again.

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If there is enough shoulder to maintain integrity or strength; I'd bore it out ..... it very difficult to find 23mm knots.

BTW when setting the knot set it so the loft is about twice the knot diameter and that can be adjusted with pennies. Use no more than the thickness of a nickel of epoxy to glue knot; otherwise it can work its way up into the hair and be visible.

PM if you need further assistance or wish to contact me in a different fashion.

:eatdrink013:

6. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Boy did you ask the right guy! Between @Enrico and @jimjo1031 theres not much they cant help you with regarding brush info. Definitely our gurus!

jimjo1031 and stuartganis like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I like to use Super Glue Gel as regular Super Glue is almost an instant bond. The gel will make sure the parts are where you want them with a slight amount of time for repositioning. The gel can also be cleaned up better in case of using too much, if done quickly.

:signs011:

Enrico likes this.
  8. stuartganis

You are 100% right, been following those 2 for 3 years
    Really enjoy watching what they do.
    Not to change the subject but you really missed a lot by not living the 50s.

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs011: Super glue gel is great!

10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Dollar stores, usually three for a buck.

11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Good to know!

:eatdrink047:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  12. stuartganis

Finally got to put replacement knots back in the handles. Maggards Timberwolf in my turn and shave handle, and maggards brown knot in my WCS handle.
    If any of you guys need help doing this kind of job let me know, I can give you the names of a couple of guys on The Shave Den who know what they are doing. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. Ijustmissedthe50s

Lol...yeah, figured as much. I think its the music I missed out on but still currently enjoy I think of most. My siblings are all older and had plenty of 50s time...I was sooo close lol. Those brushes turned out sweeeet!

stuartganis and brit like this.
  14. SterFry

SterFry Well-Known Member

I've consistently noticed two things that greatly influence how my brushes retain hair/bristles.

First, soak the bristles. If I just run my natural hair brushes under water for a few seconds, they shed far, far more than if I soak for the duration of a shower. This effect seems particularly pronounced with my boars.

Second, soak only the hair/bristles and not the entire brush. Especially in hot water. Keep the glue as dry as you can. I had a VDH deluxe as my first brush that I used to float in the sink while I showered. This thing was shedding 6-8 hairs every shave until I just started soaking the loft. The issue stopped overnight.

15. Ijustmissedthe50s

:signs011:Excellent points!