Why not vintage?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by wchnu, Jun 6, 2021.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That's one of the reasons I re-knot brushes.

:eatdrink013:

Hembree, brit, Tedolph and 1 other person like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I reckon so, we all have our quirks regardless of if we are willing to admit to them. If you let them sit long enough completely submerged in a cleaning solution like barbacide they will be germ free. The liquid will eventually seep into every nook and cranny if you let it sit long enough. The brush hairs might be toast from it but it will be germ free toast.

Hembree, brit, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They do in some cases. I am going to use one example that is a point and counterpoint and contradiction all at the same time.

Not all vintage stuff is built well first off, Gibbs adjustables come to mind. Junky design but they are sought after for the shave. They are also not as well established in shave dens because you need to modify blades for them. If you could just throw a blade in one without all the hassle they'd be in more dens and shave rotations if you believe the chatter from people who have or had them.

So here comes the homage to the Gibbs by Heritage Shaving. Same junky design but doesn't need a modified blade. As the reviews come in it shaves which you'd expect but doesn't shave like a real Gibbs missing the whole reason why people would have wanted a modern version of one.

It is like buying kit car of an original like and old Chevy Camaro made in the 70s for example, you expect to drive at least as good as the original if not improved upon. This is like getting a Chevy Camaro kit car that drives like a Chevy Vega.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2021
    PLANofMAN, Hembree, Tedolph and 3 others like this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

My personal journey when I started wet shaving I had no idea the expanse of the vintage market. I would guess I went at it like most people do going to amazon and a few wet shaving sites like west coast shaving and seeing what they had. In my case I was dissatisfied with the whole cart shaving process and results and figured there had to be a better mousetrap. I wound up getting a Merkur Progress and stuck with it for about 7 years until I dropped the razor and broke it. That is why intitially went modern and not vintage. At that point I didn't have anything else to use so I decided to make sure I always had a second razor and besides replacing my Progress I wound up getting a cheapie Slim under $10 at a junk shop. It was off to the vintage races not too long after that.

chazt, Hembree, wchnu and 3 others like this.
  5. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

To expand a little on this statement. Phobias are fear based. Fearfully rational and rationally fearful are not the same thing. Order in this case matters, fearfully rational are afraid first and work from a premise it is dangerous and there can never be any proper precautions, rationally fearful are rational first and work from the it is safe with proper precautions. Even when you can convince the fearfully rational something is safe with precautions the second the fear kicks in again the goal posts get moved and is deja vu all over again. It is how lots of people are bamboozled into things they wouldn't otherwise not do or accept especially the rationallyphobic types.

Hembree, brit and Edison Carter like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I prefer Vintage razors. The quality is usually much better.
    Even 150 year old Straight razors are usually better built than the modern ones, with a few very high dollar exceptions. There is something to be said about using a razor that was manufactured well over 100 years ago. The quality of work that went in them couldnt be had, unless you are willing to shell out several hundreds of dollars.
    I have several Gillette Fatboys, Slims, many other Gillettes, Wilkinson Sword Empires etc., that were bought for under $15. They are well made, and complicated to build, and look like almost new. Just a fun piece of history.

Hembree, Tedolph, IAmTheJody and 2 others like this.
  7. brit

brit in a box

i get that,same goes for classic cars and ex wives i guess..:D

Hembree and stuartganis like this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

And custom choppers. That also includes the ones you put in your mouth.

chazt, Hembree and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

:D:eatdrink047:

Hembree likes this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If you ever run for mayor of TSD, you have my vote.

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Because then it is not the old stuff anymore.

Hembree, brit and Zykris like this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Thanks for all the reply's guys!!

Hembree, brit and Zykris like this.
  13. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I think its just preference-why do people use different flavors of ice cream. As for me: I have a new fangled thingie with changeable plates and it’s the best balance of smooth and efficient I can find in an adjustable. I wonder if the machining is better on the new razors. The super adjustable is head heavy and the fatboy is a little awkward, and the slim gives a lot of blade flex when you get over position 5. The Merkur is great, but is actually not as smooth as the changeable plate thingie. And some folks buy things just to support the people producing for the hobby. And we’re not all in a shave forum to be utilitarian; it’s a hobby. All that said, I use an r41 more than anything because it’s smoother and more efficient than a micromatic.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2021
  14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm too old for this but LOLZ.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Hembree and MR41 like this.
  15. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Now now. Some people just don't like some things and that doesn't make them irrational or living a difficult life. It's just as easy for me to avoid a used shaving brush as it is for you to go around licking on shopping cart handles - which still isn't the worst thing I've seen at a Walmart.
    :scared011::happy068:

16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Laziness isn't a phobia. It is when fear precludes you from even considering something or making a risk / reward decision. Laziness is certainly a risk / reward type of decision and one we all do in some cases. There are plenty of things I choose not do because I can't be bothered to get up off my @ss to do it.

Hembree likes this.
  17. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Case for one segment of modern razors over vintage. If you like using AC injectors blades and don't want to cut them down in size, there aren't far as I know any vintage razors except for shavettes that can work with them without modifications.

PLANofMAN and Hembree like this.
  18. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:signs011:

19. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Can't warm to those things. What's the hurry to save a few strokes.

Sent from my Google Chromebook Pixel (2015) using Tapatalk

Edison Carter and Hembree like this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

My take and I don't want to paint all the vendors with a wide brush but of all the modern stuff I've owned or used this seems to be the case with almost all these modern artisan and chinese made stuff. They make art projects that hold blades. Yeah it is not hard to make something if the blade sticks out enough it will cut but can't make something that is designed to shave. If any shave design is incorporated into them it is usually like a bike with training wheels for former cart shavers but the real design is to be an eye catcher first and function second. They look purdy but they are sub optimal tools with no concept of function. The one modern razor though not cheap but doesn't is a Rex Ambassador, that is a shaver's shaver. Corollary would be straight razors and the blade edge. Any bozo knows you need a sharp edge to cut but for it to be optimal is how the edge is done. That is what makes or breaks it as a tool. It also shows just how much the modern straight razor makers understand their craft considering what you get that is called shave ready from the manufacturer.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    PLANofMAN, Enrico, DaltonGang and 5 others like this.