Why use a brush? I've done just fine so far? (foaming gel)

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by SpiffyChee, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Mynorx

Mynorx New Member

I like my brush because it holds the lather. I don't have to stop and grab a can and put gel on my hand and lather my face that way 3 times. its much easier to load my brush once and just use it. also the different creams and soaps are fun to use.

2. Luziana_Geezer

Luziana_Geezer Active Member

I use VDH, but I have never been able to get a lather as illustrated in you photo. HOW do you do it?

3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Well nothing really special honestly, I just did that in a bowl actually.

I splash some water on the puck while I shower, soak the brush, squeeze it out, swirl the brush and pump it up and down every once and awhile.

I probably spend a good 30 seconds or more on the puck, or till it feels completely loaded on the brush. Then I move to the bowl and swirl again with a few drops of water till it comes out like the photo, if the brush sticks up with out falling over its done.

[​IMG]

4. Luziana_Geezer

Thanks, I'll give that method a try. The major difference I see is that I have not been squeezing the water out of my brush, but rather shaking the water out as in the videos. I haven't been pumping the brush up and down either.

5. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

Just another two cents in favor of the cheap stuff. By the way, regardless of what brush and soap/cream I use, I always face lather.

Williams was the first soap I tried, and still my favorite. Not sure why some have so much trouble lathering it. Still, there's nothing wrong with Van der Hagen, and it's almost as cheap. I can do fine with either one.

My Tweezerman badger brush did feel scratchy at first, but it must have softened up, and probably my face adjusted too. Now I like the feeling of face lathering with either it or my inexpensive Omega boar.

That said, I'm sure there are good arguments in favor of the more expensive soaps and brushes, and I wouldn't discourage anyone from trying them. It's just that, if you're starting out, you can learn without spending a lot of money, and still get great results. Then, if you still want some hard to define "something more", you can drop the extra money on $100+ brushes and $30 soaps. Personally, I haven't bothered.

6. Luziana_Geezer

+1 Nor do I intend to — unless someone sends it as a gift...

I would like to try some Bay Rum though.

7. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Reading won't help you. You need to get out there and actually try some to see for yourself. You might still not see the point but at least you will have given it a shot and will know for certain.

If one's experience with cars was limited only to used budget economy cars I wouldn't expect the person to understand the benefits of a good sports car either. That said, driving a good sports car won't convince everyone. Same goes for many things out there.

Anything you don't get will seem to be hyped. As negative a connotation as the word "hype" has, it doesn't necessarily mean that everything surrounded by apparent hype is bad or useless. Cut through the hype -- get out there and figure out what you prefer based on first hand experience. You don't have to start with the most expensive or over-the-top options.

The brush softens with hot water. If you're really worried then go for a softer badger brush. Again, you need to figure out what works for you. I have a Rooney 2/1 Super Silvertip and a Semogue 620. I like them both even though they're very different but I don't have easily irritated skin.

YMMV, as with anything that has to do with wetshaving.

8. NoobShaver

NoobShaver BGDAAA

I've used Edge gel with my brush and it works. I strongly disliked the scent, though. I didn't notice how bad it smelled until I whipped it up with that brush. Other than that, using a brush with shaving gel will work.

Also, I just got back from a vacation where I used shaving gel applied by hand every day. Again, it works. I don't like it. I get a slicker lather from my Colgate and brush, and I don't have to spend a lot of time washing my hands.

Go with what works for you.

Oh, and there's no soap or cream that emulates the Fusion or Edge gels.