Why use bowls/scuttles?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by DrRoly, Jun 28, 2011.

1. dilly-b

dilly-b Member

+1 for face. Less of a 'footprint' in the bathroom + exfoliation and prep all in one. Some hot drips from the tap on the brush when needed and I get a 4 pass, "faceturbation" quality shave! YMMV, but face-lathering has given me far and away the best complexion of my adult life!:D

2. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

my scuttle I couldn't wait to get is gathering dust.. I exclusively face lather and have done away with even soaking the brush! I run some cold water on it before showering and the shake it and run it under water once more and then either lather the soap that was rubbed on my face from the stick (I grate and put all soaps in sticks) or I touch the top of the cream and lather up. then shave, rinse, lather, shave, rinse, wh, rinse, as/asb and done. been using my new AC SS for about the past month.

3. mandoman

mandoman Member

I find face lathering works best for me try it and see how you like it :D

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

But I like all the little toys! :)

5. VANCE723

VANCE723 Active Member

i find myself building the lather on my face more than i use my g-town scuttle or brush cup. i shave everyday & find using them adds about 10mins to my routine every morning ...which is already in a time crunch by the time the wife has gotten outta the way

6. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Alright, stupid question here. How do you turn grated soap in to a stick?

7. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

You use either an old deodorant container or buy one of the twist up containers from vendors like Mama Bear or West Coast. Take the grated soap moisten it lightly and pack it in the container a little at a time, turning the dial down as you go until you fill it up. Works like a charm as I've converted my MWF and Provence Sante into sticks.

scott wein and alpla444 like this.
  8. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

Thank you sir. That was going to be my next question, can you grate MWF. I may have to give this a try.

9. Smooth

Smooth Member

I use the "Black Porcelain Lather Bowl by Edwin Jagger" for lathering. It had a ridge in the center of the bottom to help build lather. It works great but is thin so it doesn't hold heat for long.

10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Ahh, the warm lather! I love my scuttle. Just look in the SoS for pictures!

11. sir-nix-alot

sir-nix-alot Member

I like face lathering soaps.

Creams I use a bowl.

Whatever works for you!

12. leonidas

leonidas New Member

... i used to think that scuttles were a waste until, i shaved one time and the soap had turned cold and with it the lather...... applying cold lather to your face is NOT a good feeling. i just bought a Robert Becker scuttle....... his large 009 in cactus sand...... it is great... it has a soaker to soak the brush and keep it warm too.......... i'm scuttle man now........

alpla444 and GDCarrington like this.
  13. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I always use a hot water rinse between passes so I've never noticed my brush getting cold. But to tell you the truth, if I had the spare change to grab a Moss classic scuttle I'd get one.

14. Kenshomi

Kenshomi Member

I purchased a scuttle a few months back and hope to post a review during the holidays. Warm brush a lather is just so darn nice I use it anytime I am not just doing a single pass.
    It does take up space in the bath, but I helps keep my wife outta my space. Plus my tooth brush fits nicely in the spout!

GDCarrington likes this.
  15. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I've never used a scuttle but I used a bowl exclusivly when I started shaving. After I got a shave stick I started face lathering and haven't looked back. I still keep the bowl around but haven't used it in quite some time.

16. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I am so glad I got my Dirty Bird scuttle. It will be a true blessing on these cold winter mornings in Wisconsin. Warm (not hot) lather is really nice. It feels so good.

scott wein and GDCarrington like this.
  17. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Just got a robert becker scuttle, and as Johnny say's warm lather feels so nice, and creams lather really quickly in it as well:). I was glad it arrived in time for cream week;)

GDCarrington likes this.
  18. MarkStar

MarkStar Well-Known Member

I use my old style scuttle when I want a truly hot shave. I face lather and find that this style is perfect for that. Just fill with super-hot water from a kettle and it's good to go...

[​IMG]

Johnny likes this.
  19. Johnny

Johnny Little Boy Blue

I've looked at a lot of that style scuttle on ebay but I really like the pattern on yours. That is very nice.

20. MarkStar

MarkStar Well-Known Member

Thank you. It's a "Calico" pattern made by Crownford. They are an English maker and I have seen this pattern in both blue and brown.

I have nothing at all against the more floral Victorian scuttles with their pink flowers and gold trim, in fact, I insist that a "real man" should never be ashamed to use a "pretty" mug/scuttle as that's what countless "real men" have done for many many years before us. That said, I do prefer the relatively toned-down nature of these monotone pieces.