Wilkinson New Tech 3 razor:ongoing review

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by zwaldo, Sep 29, 2010.

1. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

Shave 1:
    First Impressions:
    The razor has a nice weight to it. Slim design, easy to grip but hefty feeling.
    [​IMG]
    Pros:Why you should try this razor? price, weight, not aggressive, every walmart seems to have it now, so no email ordering to get blades. Handle with 2 blades 5 dollars. extra blades 5 dollars. GREAT beginners razor, Fast shaving budget shaver.

Cons:I feel that the shave could be a bit closer, and there are no power models available.

Weight Comparison
    Mach 3: 36grams
    New Gillette power Proglide
    with battery: 39grams
    Wilkinson tech 3: 41grams
    1912 Star: 59grams

sharpness: Blades seemed VERY sharp.
    Irritation: During shave, no irritation at all, after Normal 3 pass just shaved feeling.
    Slim: Noticed a bit of "slim" this run. can see it string off the face when I picked up the razor. This doesn't bother me, just included because it bothers some, and I wanted to keep log on how long I notice slim.
    Nicks:I had only 2 tiny nicks. Chin and neck area. Which I have to say is very very good for how intent I was at getting every hair. This is the best the area around my adams apple has looked in months after a wtg pass of shaving.
    Smoothness: I would give smoothness an 7 out of 10 this round. would compare it to how smooth I can get my face with my single edge 1912 star. I did not pull the skin to get closer shave. I will next shave.
    Tug:not gonna lie, I felt a little pulling. But nothing out of the ordinary.
    speed: Can shave fast with this thing. 8 out of 10.
    vs Competition: would say that this is a contender vs mach 3 and new Proglide. Though the mach 3 and proglide seem to get a smoother shave, the price difference is a huge factory plus for the tech 3. Easiest cartridge I've ever used to get mustache area baby smooth. I've never used a Gillette trac 2 but I think this would be like it's big brother.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Days conclusions: I really like this razor. I really, really like the weight. The blade angles seem to be of the less aggressive nature. Was able to do my neck without eating it up like I do with my DE. At this point I would Highly recommend this razor to anyone who wants to have a great fast shave on a budget.

2. michiganlover

michiganlover Member

You list the lack of a powered option as a Con. I think you would fine many of us on the board consider the powered Fusion/Mach 3/ Quattro to be a meaningless unnecessary gimmick.

I too have been using the WS Tech 3, and have so far worked through about two cartridges.

Overall it's a nice cartridge razor, but I feel no better than my Trac II/Atra/Sensor.

The goo factor is a little less than the Schick Hydro, but still enough to be irritating.

I got mostly irritation free shaves from this razor, but do notice the occasional whitehead appear on my chin after a few days of using the razor.

3. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

I have to disagree with the power option. If you take a fusion power and shave with it with the power off one side, and with the power on on another side you can feel a difference. To me there seems to be less drag and the vibrations seem to help numb my face.

As for a Gimmick....I can see where that would be true also. All the power has is a pager vibrater in it. those cost like 20 cents to make, and the battery probably costs like 20 cents. So for 40 cents you have the coolest and newest thing on the market.

Plus I just threw that in there because I saw in someone else's review of the m5 that they don't have a power version, so I threw it in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not being snotty about your response whatsoever. But you are right, 99% of the people on this website don't give a FORK about vibrating razors. But 99% of the people on here don't care about cartridge razors in general :rolleyes:

4. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

But 99.9% of the people on this board will tell you that if a cartridge razor (either with power or without) is what you choose to shave with, then more power to you.

After all, it's your face and your shave, and ain't nobody knows whats best for you, besides you! :happy088

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    TSD is somewhat the oddball. We actually have a Cartridge Forum!

TSD is about shaving. There are many ways to enjoy your shave. The majority of members have given up the cartridge, though. And some are bitter, and with good reason. And a lot do talk negatively towards modern shaving methods.

But plenty members talk negatively about aspects of our "hobby", too.
    example;
    member 1; Williams ROCKS!
    member 2; Williams is utter crud.

Comes with the internet I guess. <shrug>
    Just don't throw 99% of us in the same handbasket. :happy088

Most of all, enjoy your shave!

6. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

not trying to start a flame war :D but cartridges are the red headed stepchild of the site we all can agree :happy102

Just wanting to do a review diary of this razor...Which I noticed something today that I would list as a
    con:
    The stand that it comes only lays flat, you can't stand it up like the mach 3/gillettes. Which...honestly kinda bothers me. I like having them standing up nice and not taking so much room on my shaving tray :)

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Nobody said you were.

Nope, sorry, can't agree on that.

The site includes room for cartridges, and it's not in the attic.

The members who make up the site are very hard to judge. Simply because they don't all chime in. Some folks are talkers, some aren't. And I would bet even some of the talkers use cartridges from time to time whether they'll admit it or not.

Cartridges are probably the number one bad-mouthed thing on this forum, but just about everything on this forum is bad-mouthed. People don't take the time to consider that they shouldn't call things crap that others might really enjoy. Saying something didn't work for you is fine, calling it crap, not so fine.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled Cartridge razor review diary.

8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

We like to have alot of fun here in the Den, and sometimes when we get rowdy, we say things for fun that could easily be misunderstood...One time I said that I believed Mach 3's did have their place in my rotation, but only for stiring paint when remodeling the guest-room...but that was simply an unsuccessful attempt at humour...Actually I switched to the Trac II the minute it made the scene and raved about it to everyone the same as I do what I like now...When the Mach 3 first made the stores I bought mine tried it and bought my Dad one the same day and delievered it to him that night...
    To echo those far wiser than I...It is Your shave And I think Bill and JoAnna's right in thinking 99% of us sincerly want all of us to be getting great shaves the way each one of us wants to...and we like to hear and share opinions on Kit Gear, so we can discover or rediscover cool stuff, that will add to our shaving experiance...:)) So keep hangin' at the Den, digging what you dig , and sharing your experiances...

9. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

yeah it's cool that the forum has a cartridge forum. I didn't know about it for awhile because it's kinda hidden in in the safety razor forum I think. I'll have to admit the first response to this post wasn't what I expected and it made me alittle sour. I thought the first post would have been, "wow great comparison. Did you actually take the time to weight each razor? for this?" But that wasn't the cause. I think that with the more time and thought I put into a post, the more I expect in responses and praise like a spoiled brat :happy102

But I'm over it :p

Ok, shave 2:
    I shaved with williams shave soap first round, this round I used tequilla lime from TGQ which I mix about 1 teaspoon of glycerin into the bar after I microwave it to fit my bowl.

Sharpness: very sharp
    Irritation: During shave, no irritation at all, after Normal 3 pass just shaved feeling.
    Slim: Noticed a bit of "slim" this run.
    Nicks:3 normal nicks this time on my neck only.Not deep enough to get out the toilet paper, but did have to wipe 3 times before clotting up to a stop. I shaved this time really trying to cut myself by using a lot of pressure, and being very aggressive on the ATG pass.
    Smoothness: I would give smoothness an 6 out of 10 this round. I'm getting alittle disappointed in this area. with a 3 pass shave, there will be a wisker every now and then that feels just like you did a 1 pass wtg stroke on it. rest of the area will be pretty smooth. Going to try kings of shave tomorrow see if that helps.
    Tug:nothing out of the ordinary.
    vs Competition: I remember the mach 3 coming out with a smoother shave after 2 passes.But can't pass judgement this early.

Days conclusions: Thinking that this thing shaves in-between a gillette 2 blade disposable and a mach 3.

like I said I'm kind of doing this is a shave diary, but anyone else can chime in! :)

10. AnarchoPhil

AnarchoPhil Member

I mainly use a straight razor and every now and then use a DE. When Wal Mart started getting these Wilkinson razors I bought one a tried it out. It was good as any other cartridge and a helluva lot cheaper. The price of the Mach 3 and others is the reason I started using a SR.

I'm not going back though.

11. TMDE Dan

TMDE Dan Member

This is a good enough razor I will keep it in my rotation. I'm kind of a nit picker when it comes to soaps or what not leaving a "soap scum" residue on my DE so I will use the Tech 3 when I use a known "residuer". I have taken to using an x-acto knife to trim down the lube layer on a new cartridge to reduce the slime. I'm still trying to figure out what the idea is behind laying down a slime layer after the blades have already made their pass. (Other than marketing that is) :rolleyes:

12. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

shave 3:
    kings of shave, blue goop

Sharpness: very sharp
    Slim: no more slim.
    Nicks:no nicks, seems like kings of shave is very good with this razor.
    Smoothness: Again very disappointed with my results on smoothness, I pull the skin and still feel some stubble. The razor is great for a quick wtg pass, but for atg..you arn't going to get baby smooth.
    Tug:nothing out of the ordinary.
    vs Competition: I have yet to break out the mach 3, but I think that the cartridge being a lot bigger helps to stretch the skin getting a closer shave. just my thoughts.

Days conclusions: still an irritation free shave, just lack luster in the smoothness department.

13. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

Final review:
    3 shaves since the last review. 3 shower shaves.

Though this razor is a great budget shaver it lacks in the closeness of shave area for me. After 7 or so shaves the blade became noticeable dull and needed replaced. The Mach 3 which I'm comparing it to seems to stay sharper a lot longer. After every shave with the wilkins never left me a "girlfriend" smooth shave. I'd have a few stubbles here or there, no matter how much pulling and different angles of passes I did.

The Mach3 wins in all the categorys vs this razor.
    sharpness, longevity , smoothness, etc.

So in short, I had high hopes for this razor, and once the pazaze of having a new razor wore off. Even thought the cartridges are a bit cheaper than mach 3, the fact that it dulls quicker for me kinda evens it out.

So i'm sticking with my mach 3 :)

14. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Just kind of hit me - cartridges aren't bad-mouth nearly as much as canned shave foam (frequently called "goo"). It's the only bad-mouthing for which I know I'm guilty. It's a natural instinct to generalize against a product that has caused problems for oneself.

FYI, I will use a cartridge when I need to fly. I'm currently working off my last couple Mach 3's, but I'm looking at something different when they run out. So, I appreciate this thread as something to consider. Mind you, it's looking like the razor in question isn't what I'm after at least I know that.

15. zwaldo

zwaldo New Member

you know chem you are right. Though I haven't used many De's single edges or straights the best part for me is the shave soap. With a 15 dollar tweezerman, and a 1.50 cent william soap I was hooked. Since then I've ordered from TGQ and tried many samples, (cadvish black FTW!") and am finishing my last puck of tequilla lime. I've even rendered about 5 mounds of lard that is still sitting in the freezer to try and make some homemade shave soap :happy102 I have been slacking but was hoping to be able to give pucks out for xmas gifts :/

But u know what, the nvidia shave gel did really well with this razor, probably got best results with that stuff.

I haven't tried a lot of razors I must admit, but That's why I feel I might bring something to the table with my reviews. trying to review for a newbie, or someone who hasn't tried that particular razor/type.

I have yet to try the hydro, but the PROGLIDE is amazing, fusion is great, but mach 3 is best bang for the buck in my opinion.

16. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Hey Man, what ever blows your hair back, you just keep on rockin' your way in the free world Brother.

17. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I just gave the Tech-3 a test drive with some Mama Bear's Awakening/Col. Conk's Lime SS and got a very close but not bbs shave. It's not a bad shaving system. It's basically a Schick Tracer that pivots. Too bad the Tracer cart's won't fit it.

Clayton

18. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

This is the new Extreme 3 handle here in Europe, replacing the existing handle but still using the existing Extreme 3 blade cartridges.

19. CartrigeBoy

CartrigeBoy New Member

I wish I saw this review before I got my Tech 3.

I had no luck with mine. It was a painful shave. I used it once and tossed it.