Will it shave?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by SharptoothC, Mar 11, 2020.

1. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I walked into a local supply store on the recommendation of my son's barber to look for a specific hair product, and found that they had a small shaving section. I'd never been to this store before (I don't have hair on my head, so it never crossed my mind) and found a couple of things I've not ever seen here locally.

First, a bottle of Lustray Blue Spice aftershave. Short story: love it.

Second, I saw a puck of that universally reviled product: Marvy shave soap.

Now, I've been on a bit of a cheapskate quest over the last couple of years. Williams is the most-used soap in my den over the last six months, and I've been using my Assured Dollar Tree razor at an alarming rate. I couldn't help myself. For a buck, I had to pick up a puck and see what all the maligning was about.

It didn't start off well. I unwrapped the soap, and the smell was inoffensively soapy. Nothing to fret about. I dropped it into my BurmaShave mug, and promptly dropped the mug on the floor, breaking off the handle. Marvy Curse? Foreshadowing? I cleaned up the bits of ceramic off of the floor and decided to press on. I soaked the puck for a few minutes in warm water, drained off the excess, grabbed a Maggard synthetic brush and went at it. I quickly got a lather that reminds me of my modern Williams soaps. It's not the thick, yogurt-like lather of some of our higher quality (price?) soaps. I lathered it onto my face and noticed that the lather seemed a bit airy, and started to visibly dissipate rather quickly. One bonus for me is that I am a rather quick shaver. I usually do only one pass and some touch up. I don't waste time. So I set about getting the job done, and while it was not the thick, luxurious, dense, cushiony lather I get from some of my pricier soaps, I noticed after the shave that I had no burn or irritation. It rinsed off cleanly and easily and didn't leave my face feeling dry.

It's a busy season in my life: three kids involved in lots of extracurriculars, full time work, full time everything, and it all costs money. So I've become a bit more attracted to the functional and affordable. It ain't a high end soap, but I was a bit surprised to find that I can easily get the job done with a $1 puck of Marvy. It will shave.

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Here is a nice article I found across the street. Forget the mug. Wet your face then just rub the shave puck over your face and proceed to lather.

This article is from Mechi's Catalogue of Cutlery, which published these Tips on shaving ca.1800, in England:

[​IMG]

Keithmax, Enrico, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  3. SharptoothC

I may have to give that a try.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yeah, that is basically what you would do with a shave stick. I am thinking of doing a video with the technique of rubbing the puck on my face.

SharptoothC, Hembree and dmshaver like this.
  5. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

The video is a great idea. I hope you do it & post it.

SharptoothC likes this.
  6. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

First of all Nice Post and 2nd great now another soap i had not heard of that YOU now have me curious about.. i looked online but the cheapest i can find it is 5 bucks a piece........where has it for a dollar????

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    SharptoothC likes this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Excellent post.

SharptoothC likes this.
  8. SharptoothC

I found it at a local African American hair supply store. They had them in a large box marked $1 each. I wouldn't go through the trouble at $5. If you've tried modern William's, it isn't all that dissimilar, and it is cheaper.

jaro likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Enjoyable and informative read!

:happy088:

SharptoothC likes this.
  10. jaro

yes i have tried modern williams.. i actually like it. there is a drug store locally that sells williams for like 95 cents i have several pucks of it.....

SharptoothC likes this.
  11. SharptoothC

If you luck up and find Marvy for $1, give it a whirl. But at $5, William's is the better deal.

jaro likes this.
  12. jaro

thanks for the info