Williams mug soap being discontinued is confirmed

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Omelmad, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You called?
    zinteresting.jpg

ninjack, RayC1993 and NapalmCola like this.
  2. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

3. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

I wrote earlier this week to confirm that Williams is not being discontinued. Another forum originally posted that it was being discontinued, then said they were undecided, then said it wasn't being discontinued. I don't know if it was a practical joke or an evolution of thought, but it has caused a great deal of confusion. Below is my correspondence.
    **************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Thank you for your email to Combe Incorporated. We sincerely apologize for the delay in responding to your request.

We are not discontinuing the William's Mug Soap but this product is in limited distribution.

Again, we apologize for the delay and want to thank you for taking the time to contact us and appreciate your patience.

Sincerely,Tamara
    Tamara
    Consumer Resources Consultant

Case #545162

Do not reply to this email. If you wish to reply Please Click Here

-----------------------------------------ORIGINAL EMAIL-----------------------------------------

Comment:
    Are you discontinuing Williams Mug Soap?

4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I know you're talking about shave soap, but I find cutbacks on Coast Deodorant soap, as well. I guess I should stick with Dial now-"The Clubman of Soaps"

Omelmad likes this.
  5. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Other forums are not necessarily the best sources of information. A couple are quite good, but others much less so. It sounds like whoever on that forum posted the information you cited was stating guesswork as fact rather than as a hunch. Thank you for setting the record straight. What you did is a really good example of how to respond to rumors and unsubstantiated claims - simply contact the vendor, ask for verification and present the response for all to see. Well done, California Cajun!

NapalmCola likes this.
  6. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Combe was responsible for the rumor as they emailed that was indeed discontinued then backpedaled from that. I got both such responses from the horses mouth.
    Remember Combe assured us in emails they weren't going to change Aqua Velva from glass to plastic and promptly did it anyway. It feels like a stay of execution and one day in the not to distant future it will just vanish. Aside from a few small stores Williams still isn't widely distributed anymore. I can't see them justifying keeping a whole factory open to manufacture it. I wish they would reformulate it into a better product or sell it to a company who will.
    In its current form I like Williams more for its history than its performance and have a box of it - that will remain unused.

7. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Wait a minute... Looks like I spoke too soon. Tamara said here that the soap was being discontinued. And it sounds like Combe said the same thing to others, too. Tammy baby ol' friend ol' pal, if you are reading this, do your customer base a fave and let us know the real story. Pretty pleeze with sugar on top.

Personally, I am glad Combe got rid of the glass Aqua Velva bottles. Glass bottles are the work of the Devil, especially when they are dropped on the floor. Not to worry regardless of what happens. Walters Shaving Soap should make a good substitute. Maybe they will licence the trademark to Krissy at nominal cost if Combe's Williams goes bye bye? Or license her formula and make it themselves.

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I've dropped one or two in my lifetime, but I still prefer glass over plastic. Glass doesn't alter the smell of the contents. It also looks much classier, not that Aqua Velva looked especially classy in the first place. I keep a small brass funnel for transferring aftershaves into glass bottles.

Shaver X likes this.
  9. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I didn't know it was hard to lather. I think its super easy, I can get a thick lather in about a minute. Works well with my synthetic WD brush. Smells like soap. Performs well for me, nothing fancy, I like it.

10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That's how I like to go about my overall personal hygiene-"nothing fancy".

Shaver X likes this.
  11. Redfisher

Except razors, I like fancy razors...

Shaver X likes this.
  12. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

[​IMG]

Redfisher likes this.
  13. Redfisher

:lyrtuy5:

14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Yep...I wrote Combe when I first heard the rumor and they wrote me back, they didn't know....Then they wrote me back that they were scaling back production....They I got an e-mail that they weren't at liberty to say but they appreciated customers contacting them....

15. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

I have and do like Walters Shaving Soap.

Shaver X likes this.
  16. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Is he any relation to William? :)

17. hobbitofny

hobbitofny Active Member

I keep a stock of 40+ pucks. One can never have to much Williams Mug Shaving Soap. It is hard to find but it is still being made. My local drug store orders it for me at $1.49 a puck. Sure better price compared to Van Der Hagen pucks.

imGrunt likes this.
  18. Redfisher

So pretty much nobody knows one way or another.

19. imGrunt

imGrunt Active Member

Apparently someone in northeast Ohio likes it! Went to the drug store today and the shelf was empty! I've never seen this before and I only have 7 pucks of Williams :(.

hobbitofny likes this.
  20. imGrunt

imGrunt Active Member

It lasts longer too!

hobbitofny likes this.