Williams mug soap being discontinued is confirmed

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Omelmad, Jul 2, 2015.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Will Williams soap be abruptly discontinued or will Combe make a few hundred a year to keep a sense of nostalgia alive? Tuned in again for another exciting episode of "AS THE SOAP LATHERS!"

Portions of this thread are prerecorded.

This is TBC. The Shave Den Broadcasting Company!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Coming up next "Love of Lather!"

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Douglas Carey and Slipperyjoe like this.
  3. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

As a wise shaving sage once said: It's your shave. Have it your way.

Williams is not my very favorite soap, but it certainly gets the job done and is very reasonably priced. Some wetshavers think it is the be all and end all of soaps.
    More importantly, it was widely available. That makes it very convenient when one runs out if soap. Those who do not like the product are not expected at all to mourn its loss.

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I'm having trouble visualizing this situation.

5. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

photo(6).JPG

Went in a local store today and they had 24 pucks. :happy068:

6. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

How many did they have when you left?

GDCarrington and Rufus T. like this.
  7. Weeper Warrior

Weeper Warrior Well-Known Member

24......:scared003:

GDCarrington likes this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Twenty four pucks of current Williams on the shelf, Twenty four pucks of current Williams! If one of ...

No that song will not make the top 40! :happy102:

NCoxSTL and Weeper Warrior like this.
  9. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

The advertising on that page is deceptive because the box is vintage Williams. On modern Williams, the word "mug" is white trimmed in blue.

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I am not sad as long as I can get some vintage Williams on ebay. (I have 4 pucks in my stash...:))

theFAT98 likes this.
  11. California Cajun

California Cajun Active Member

I'm pretty sure that Williams is NOT being discontinued. I wrote the company and if I receive a response I'll pass it on.

NapalmCola likes this.
  12. Justin Linker

Justin Linker Wetshaving belieber

This is the first I've heard of it. I still have half a puck inside a coffee cup in the closet I reach for occasionally when I am feeling up for a challenge...or if it's Halloween.

13. Hillbilly79

Hillbilly79 Well-Known Member

It is a shame that they don't "reformulate", and go back to the old formula. I'm sure people would pay $3 instead of $1. They could charge an extra 25 cents for menthol. If they went wild, they could offer 2 or 3 scents as well, like sandlewood or lime.

ninjack, Shaver X and Weeper Warrior like this.
  14. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Williams worked well for me, perhaps in honor of this news ill use it on my next shave...i have a puck or two but none in the box so maybe ill grab a couple......it will always hold a special place for me since it was the first shave soaps and one of the first wet shaving products i ever purchased

Shaver X and Weeper Warrior like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    You don't need to put yourself through that as it has NOT been discontinued.

NapalmCola and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  16. NapalmCola

NapalmCola Well-Known Member

Well I have to say that Omelmad, the gent that started this forum back on July 2nd must have some ties to the company. Either with employment or investment. He at least made some sales for the company from this.
    I believe it was a marketing ploy that worked. I will quote myself from way back on July 4th.
    Well I may be completely wrong but, here it goes. I'm not sure how many of you remember the great twinkie scare we had a while back. As soon as the public heard that they were discontinuing twinkie's they were bought up like crazy . Every shelf was cleared out and eBay was flooded with them for a very large profit. The company sales went up , the interest grew again . From what I remember they either kept production after all and are doing better than ever or sold the rights to the highest of multiple bidders and they new owners are doing very well. Many new varieties as well as movie promotions. <br />So long story even longer. Maybe there is someone up the williams chain of command or in marketing who is a genius and trying the same thing. Who knows, I guess I will have to wait and see if my theory is correct or not.
    Of course there is still a chance that they went belly up and the shelves are still being stocked full every week from the reserve supply they have.
    Which everyone knows is stored in the arm of the statue of liberty. That is the real reason it is of limits to the public.
    The Black Tom explosion was just a distraction so they could fill the statues arm area without being seen and also use the explosion as an excuse to say it was damaged ( the statues arm )and is no longer safe and is off limits. Which it still is to this day.
    Some people say that the explosion was accually an attack on the Williams Soap Company itself from the Mitchell's Wool Fat Soap Company. To try and stop the Williams Soap Company because they were seen as a potential threat.
    But that is a bit of history for another time.

17. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Wow! Omelmad started this forum?
    [​IMG]

NapalmCola likes this.
  18. NapalmCola

My bad, the Omelmad on page one of this thread. I am having a heck of a time trying post it.

19. NapalmCola

Where is the member with picture of the black cat sharpening it's nails when ya need him . It would go well right about now as well.

20. RayC1993

RayC1993 Well-Known Member

@Jayaruh you are being called :)

NapalmCola likes this.