Williams Question

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Ryan B, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I have a puck of the old Williams. It's kind of yellow and crusty looking. What must be done to make this soap usable? I really want to try it out.

2. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I just soak the puck in hot water from the tap and let it sit while I prep, then dump the water and go to town with a boar brush.

GlennConti likes this.
  3. Ryan B

Awesome! I've been dying to get my hands on some for awhile now. Luckily, the travel box had a puck; so I swiped it.

Williams Warrior likes this.
  4. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

Just follow Williams Warrior's advice. I use it all the time. I use a boar brush and usually face lather with it. It takes a little practice to get a good lather but once you master it you're good to go.

5. Ryan B

I'm excited to use this vintage Williams. It doesn't smell like crap like the new one does.

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Just use it like any other soap.

PanChango likes this.
  7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I don't mind the smell of "new" Williams, can you describe the "old" and "new" differ in smell? Is it a slight or major difference?

8. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Williams is one of the few soaps which unfortunately is impossible for me to use. :(

9. Ryan B

The old has no smell. It just smells like soap to me.

srpavko likes this.
  10. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

Smells like old tallow soap to me too. No perfume at all. At least the 50's barbers bar that I have does. Haven't lathered it though.

11. Ryan B

I'm going to use it sometime this week.

12. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I grate the vintage soap pucks and then kind of mix it all together before smooshing it into a Ziploc container. Sometimes the outside dries out a little, mixing the grated pieces together seems to help.

13. benjiboy

benjiboy Member

Just picked some up yesterday. Took awhile to lather but stayed on my face longer than VDH did cause I take so long to shave. I'm a newbie.