Williams shaving soap?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Joey Pellegrino, Mar 26, 2013.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'd probably put effort into it if it didn't smell like skeeter-be-gone.

2. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

Williams is so hard and dry, to get it to lather I tend to add too much water to the brush, then the lather gets bubbly and takes a long time to work it to a decent lather. Grating and hydrating it first sounds like a sound approach. I will try that next time I venture into Williams. Short of that, I found adding some drops of glycerine to the puck helped.

3. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Why go to so much effort to make Williams usable when there are so many other soaps available?

4. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I concur.

5. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

I guess cuz it's Williams and a good conversation topic. As I've said, I get a very nice, slick lather that my face likes so why not?

6. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I don't use it that often anymore, but I'm glad I keep it around. It provides a nice change of pace for me, a blue collar shave so to speak.

7. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I used my Van der Williams this morning..I have to say I like the stuff...:happy088: The Van der Hagan/Williams mix definately lathers easy for me, I get good protection from it, a smooth shave and it's American made, available locally, long lasting and CHEAP!!!! :) If it was all I had to use I would be quite contented with it....:shaver

8. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

I really want to try this one, but it was in that old family haul and it's the only one. I wonder if I can hold out. Maybe just one lather....

As far as I can learn this soap is from the 50's and was sold to Barbers in a tube of cakes and wrapped in plain brown paper. Anyone know if this is true? Anyway, it's a damn nice specimen that's for sure. Smells nothing at all like the new stuff. Just smells like old tallow soap. I bet it lathers like a dream.....grrr, gotta stop before I try.

WIlliams Top.jpg Willaims Bottom.jpg

Ryan B likes this.
  9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

If you don't use it, what are you going to do with it? Let it sit and collect dust? Sell it later and wish you still had it to try?
    I say use it. You can't take it with you when you're gone.

178-bplatoon and srpavko like this.
  10. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

I agree with BigT. Doesn't matter the water type, you can still get a soap to lather well, with some work and patience. It's mainly proportion of water and soap. You can use the Marco method from badgerandblade. Around 110 swirls on the soap, adding water as needed and then apply to a very wet face.

By the way, I have a "vintage" puck of Williams, so it now has zero scent. If you want the urinal smell, try an Arko stick. It smells funny, but man does it lather. Just rub it on your beard (don't overdo it) and use your wet brush to lather. Abundant lather and inexpensive soap.

11. srpavko

srpavko Fastrak Super Duty Hustler

Well, I can never sell it. I promised the man who passed it all on to me. I am making some shadow box displays for some of my collection that will never be used, I may use it once then retire it to the "museum".