Williams Tonsorial Shaving Soaplets

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by HoosierTrooper, Jan 19, 2013.

1. HoosierTrooper

HoosierTrooper Steve-less in Indiana

I bought this from a B&B member and thought that a few members would enjoy seeing an unusual version of Williams. This was/is made for barbers to use in their lather machines. I have no idea how old it is, it has the B1988 stamped on the flap, which may be a date code or just a random production number. To me, it looks older than something from 1988 for some reason.

It's still listed as being for sale at this site, it's almost at the bottom of the page, the picture's not very good but the box looks similar.

http://www.beauty-barbersupplyandequ....com/page2.htm

As you can see it came from the Cranford NJ plant and according to the instructions you mix the 6
    ounces of "soaplets" with a gallon of water for a gallon of lather. It smells identical to the other vintage Williams soaps I have, just a light soap scent.

I used it this morning and started out with 1/4 of a teaspoon of the pellets and two teaspoons of water, which is what I always start out with. After a few seconds it became apparent that I needed more product so I added another 1/4 of a teaspoon of product and that did the trick. I added another teaspoon of water and quickly got the right consistency. It performed great, every bit as good as any other of the vintage Williams I use, which is flawless.

Since it only took a 1/2 of a teaspoon the six ounces should last a long time. I have put it in a plastic container, which is probably safer than the original plastic bag it came in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JRod22 and Hanzo like this.
  2. poppi

poppi Well-Known Member

Cool!! How do you manage to find all this neat stuff? That being said, I want some!

3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

:signs011:

4. thevez2

thevez2 uses Gillette's new Tarantula Razor - 8 blades!!

Cool Tom, I wanted to buy that box when I saw it for sale too. I was very curious how it would work. Glad you got it!

5. HoosierTrooper

I'm always on the lookout for stuff, and sometimes plain old good luck helps out. And, yes, I'm now on the hunt for more of this as well!

I didn't know if it would work by just mixing some with water, but it was worth a try. I considered trying to form some into a puck, but the pellets are pretty hard and dry and I'm afraid trying to mix some with a little water to make a puck would probably just end up making a mess. It's easy enough to just scoop a little out and drop in a bowl.

6. 5t8t2u

5t8t2u Member

No tallow(ate) in the ingredient list. No noticeable difference from the vintage pucks? I'm also curious as to if you've tried the Faux Vintage Williams from Prairie Creations.com?

7. HoosierTrooper

From what I understand, and it's quite limited, is that the first ingredient, stearic acid, is derived from animal fat. No, I haven't tried her Faux Vintage Williams, I am familiar with it. I've stockpiled so much genuine Williams I don't know that I really need it.

JRod22 likes this.