Williams Week 9/10-9/16

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by swarden43, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Wednesday 12 Sep 12
    Muhle R41
    No idea what blade I whipped in there
    Simpsons Chubby CH1
    Proraso Red (Wheat)
    No A/S

1 pass not exactly BBS but I didn't have time to care really. Heck I didn't even have time to make a real lather either.

ChrisC1977 likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

WHAT?!? No Williams?
    This is, after all, the Williams Week thread, and you come to party without your Williams?!?
    Justin, Justin, Justin.... What are we going to do? :signs089:

Nah. We'll let ya stick around. You're one of the good 'uns!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. Neolithium

I wanted to use Williams but when you have 60 seconds to shave....not gonna happen ;)

Actually I just realized I posted that in the wrong bloody thread to boot. I FAIL

PLANofMAN likes this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

009 (800x552).jpg

Wednesday Shave

Lathered the Williams with a bit of glycerin, as straight shaving takes me more time the lather tended to dry out on my face . ATG was kinda rough going, picked up some weepers, don't know if thats the Williams protection weakness or not. Mission accomplished , whiskers removed, not a bad shave overall.

Lyndon and ChrisC1977 like this.
  5. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

It's all good. I have been known to post my SOS in the previous week's thread. :)

6. brucea

brucea New Member

Half wat through a puck now. Don't think I will purchase Williams again. I'd rather spend a dollar more and get a puck of vanderhagen

7. ChrisC1977

Half way in three days? Wow! Mine is only about 5% gone.

8. I Call It Maize

I Call It Maize Well-Known Member

My synthetic brush worked best for me. I have to be honest, my lather was MUCH better than I expected after reading everyone's comments. You can see my photo above that the results were quite acceptable.

macaronus likes this.
  9. ChrisC1977

swissviolet.JPG

I thought this was rather nifty. Swiss Violet shaving soap pot. Not sure the era. Anyone know anything about this one?

Hanzo likes this.
  10. ChrisC1977

Hanzo,

I did exactly what you said and it turned out much better. Although I didn't count. ;) I whipped and dug until I got a nice lather. Hand applied the lather then finished over with the brush. Lather was more creamy and slick. I had a darn near BBS if I don't say. No irritation! (Day 4 of Astra SP)

001.JPG

So that is the trick sir. You hit the nail on the head. :signs107:

It does require a bit more touch and working the lather after you have applied to get the best results. But I would say over all...dare I say nice. At the beginning of the week, I couldn't wait to stash the Williams away. Now I might break it out here and there.

Lyndon, macaronus and Hanzo like this.
  11. ChrisC1977

I doctored another Williams' ad. I did use a few quotes form Williams' Week participants. I hope you don't mind. Enjoy!

willamsad3.JPG

Hanzo and Norseman like this.
  12. ChrisC1977

Williams1892.jpg

I notice that when I look at many of the old Williams' ads, they really promote the soap big time! I think that is part of how they achieved so much success. Most their ads said something to the effect that if you cannot find Williams' at your druggist, etc They would send you a free cake of soap if you sent them the return postage stamps. Whether you like Williams or not. It has stood as a favorite among many for 172 years. That feat alone deserves applause.

13. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

Chris
    Good point. You should try a puck of vintage Williams. It lathers like a good old fashioned soap should and there is a new appreciation among wetshavers of the vintage stuff, a puck is considered not unreasonably priced at $10. Yesterday there was an auction for a 8 puck , 1 pound package of Williams Tonsorial, sold for $55 on ebay. I would send you a puck of vintage but I sold all mine . Only issue with the vintage is the scent dissappears, all you smell is the tallow or fat. Same with vintage Colgate , its a very nice tallow soap, creates a great lather.

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Thursday - another day closer

Drop a squirt of KMF Cool Mint and 3 drops of M Bomb into the lather bowl before coming in with a brush loaded down with Williams.
    Not bad. Still, Williams is not a soap I will use outside of Williams Week.

15. ChrisC1977

Call me a rookie, but there is more than one version of Williams'? I will have to look into that. Is the vintage go back to the original recipe? (1840) I would love that. I will keep my eyes open.

16. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

The formula for Williams has changed over the years quite a number of times , vintage Williams you can still buy on ebay. The big deal for wetshavers is the tallow, the vintage versions have it and the new only secondarily. There have been some discussions here but the best thread on it is actually at Badger and Blade , its called Identifying Vintage Williams, much information and pics there to make one an instant expert.

I really liked vintage Williams at one point but I found for me Cella and Vitos Extra Super were comparable to the vintage stuff performance wise and whereas VW is made scentless over time the Cella and Vitos smell nicer.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    :rofl:I'll put my hands together for that!
    The good old days when people actually advertised using quality products they would stand behind, instead of marketing shoddy products to a demographic slice of society.

ChrisC1977 likes this.
  18. brucea

brucea New Member

No not three days. Its been about 4 months or so. I have been switching off with Arko. I great a good lather but Williams doesn't give much in the way of protection or lubrication.I am adding a bit of Erasmic now every time I use the Williams . So my thoughts are if I have to add another product to Williams to make it work why bother?

19. Neolithium

Merkur 1904
    Gillette NEW
    Gillette 7 o'clock Green
    Williamsou sh
    Semogue Owners Club Boar
    Brut

Ok, so I gave the Merkur another spin, was better than the other times I tried but still not very efficient, so I switched to the NEW which mowed everything down nicely. Sorry 1904 you're hitting the chopping block.

20. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Williams week how :signs021:
    I have an Old Spice mug dedicated to just Williams soap. It's sitting on the counter now just waiting for tomorrow morning. I don't have any of that neat vintage stuff so it will be the new version. :)
    Kit for tomorrow:
    EJ89 hooked to a Weber SS BullDog
    BlueBird hi-stainless blade w/one shim
    Bestshave #6 Horse Hair brush
    proraso preshave followed by splash of electric shave
    Nivea post-shave balm followed by Mennen original Skin Bracer a/s