Williams Week 9/10-9/16

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by swarden43, Sep 9, 2012.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Tried the Williams neat today; no added cream or menthol. Had way too much thick lather, but it still performs that old Williams disappearing trick once it gets on the face. Plenty slick, I'll give it that. Still not a fan.

2. ChrisC1977

ChrisC1977 Well-Known Member

As we head towards the end of Williams week, I must say that it has been eye opening. I became fascinated with the old Williams' soap and barber shop ads. The fact that they stood behind their product practically demanding that if your druggist doesn't carry Williams', leave empty handed, write to us, send postage and we will send you soap. They had pride in their soaps. 172 years later, Williams' is still used by many.

Early in this week I dreamed of other things I could do with my puck of Williams such as play hockey or shuffleboard, or use as a drink coaster. Now I am proud to say that I will use Williams in part of my rotation. Connecting with the history of the soap and learning and going back in time is something I love. I am glad that Williams' is now a part of that.

PLANofMAN, Norseman and Hanzo like this.
  3. Kevin K

Kevin K Well-Known Member

Okay, I've never been able to get Williams to lather as well as some other soaps and creams. I'd almost given it up as a lost cause. THEN, I read Disburden's post about how to get Williams to lather well (I Call It Maize, Thanks for reposting this info). I got far better lather and shave using this new method with lots of water. I guess I'll remain open-minded and continue to use Williams. I'll use varying amounts of water until I get what I'm looking for. At this point though, it's still way too much work. I just want to enjoy my shave and there's other soaps that are far easier for me to lather.

4. ChrisC1977

I have been using this method after a few tips I received this week. 1st 2 days of W.W. could have been better. This seems to be the trick.

williamslather 001.JPG williamslather 002.JPG williamslather 003.JPG williamslather 004.JPG williamslather 005.JPG williamslather 006.JPG

Asd, Lyndon, Norseman and 1 other person like this.
  5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

That's what I did today as well! Much thicker and creamier lather. It still tended to dry on my face, but much less so than the other days. This is what was left after the shave. A four pass shave it was, and there was enough lather left for at least another pass.
    SoS 2012-09-15.jpg

So, I'm still no fan of the New Williams, but I'll take it out from time to time for a spin.

Today I discovered a bottle of glycerin in the cabinet under the kitchen sink. I'll try adding a few drops tomorrow.

Asd likes this.
  6. ChrisC1977

Looks good Mike! I too would love to try the vintage Williams. Never used it. But I like vintage and I like quality so I'm sure it would be win. Like a fine wine or a good gin.

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

DSCF1696 (800x564).jpg

Saturday Shave

Straight Williams today , nothing added to the lather. I didn't expect a great shave but was pleasantly surprised, it was nice .

Asd likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm so glad so many of you have enjoyed this week, even if you (like me) aren't crazy about Williams. To be honest, even I have enjoyed this week, only because of all of you! Thanks to all!!

Next week (actually starts tomorrow, the 17th) is Badger Brush Week. Care to join me?

Hanzo and I Call It Maize like this.
  9. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Sunday's shave.
    Same as yesterday, only added a few drops of glycerin. Whipped up a lot of lather, but it felt like dry lather (if you catch my meaning).Lasted in the bowl, but not on my skin. Felt odd as well. Anyway, I got a DFS out of it.
    Badger tomorrow! Oh, and different soap. Or cream. :)

SoS 2012-09-16.jpg

Asd and ChrisC1977 like this.
  10. Neolithium

Neolithium I am Canadian, eh

Sunday
    '59 Gillette Fatboy @ 7
    Voskhod
    Semogue 1520
    Williams
    Old Spice Classic

The best shave of the week. I HAVE DISCOVERED A WILLIAMS SECRET! Soaked the puck and brush for about 5 minutes in hot water, I mixed the lather up as I normally do in the bowl, it had that characteristic light and airy look to it - ended up getting distracted and left the soap in the bowl for about 5 minutes or so, came back and noticed that it thickened up and looked like my normal lather does. Added 3 drops of mbomb, gave it a few quick swirls and the lather was nothing short of OUTSTANDING.

macaronus and ChrisC1977 like this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

DSCF1700 (800x481).jpg

Sunday Shave

The end of Williams week and I got a pretty good shave, nice and clean . I think the proper lathering technique and a big boar brush are the only things needed to make W work adequately but its a shame its the only soap widely available here in the states in bricks and mortar stores, with the exception of VDH. In Spain and Italy it seems a visit to a supermarket or pharmacy will turn up inexpensive creams and soaps of better quality. I've used Spanish Aqua Velva and Spanish produced Williams shave cream and they are better than American Williams shave products. So I can make Williams work but I am indifferent to it , its been remarked many times that when so many superior soap choices exist why use Williams, I agree .

PLANofMAN and macaronus like this.
  12. I Call It Maize

I Call It Maize Well-Known Member

Today was the first time all week I added anything to the Williams. I have read that soap makers add castor oil to help lather so I tried about a dime size in my bowl. I noticed a difference in the stability of the lather on the face for sure.

Lather in the bowl hasn't been a problem all week, but like others, sometimes it becomes oxidized fairly quickly on the face. I have no clue why it looks so nice in the bowl then dissipates on the face as it does.

My overall impression...I like the scent better than most. The soap has plenty enough glide for me even though the lather can thin rather quickly. A stiffer brush and taking the lather straight from the puck to the face seemed best. I also found I needed a bit more moisturizer this week...because of the soap...not sure... but I know that my face felt tighter than normal.

. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347852491.155720.jpg

macaronus and Hanzo like this.
  13. Richard Jackson

Richard Jackson Well-Known Member

Hey! I just got that razor for Christmas, and I'm in love. William's I find to be a bit temperamental. Oh well. But the razor is great, shame I only get to shave once a day :(

Hanzo likes this.